Hi Guys well here is my new leaf cutter ant setup, its about 97 % finished all i have to do is wait a few weeks till payday so i can buy two more bits of tubing and a tank for the foraging area and link it all up. The nest construction is complete thou. Below is some photos during construction.
This is one of the small bookshelveing unit that will be modified to take the Containers and tubing.
These are the two bookshelve units now in place and lining the containers up to check spacing etc.
We couldnt find any T piece tube fittings in clear so we decided to make our own
We started to cut out the holes where the two T fittings would go and the L fitting me made.
We have now linked up the three fittings with some smaller 50mm piping. This will be the main exit from the colony to the feeding area. All the nest containers link to this as you will see shortly.
It took us a very long time cutting angles and trying to figure out how to get the tube cut to bend in diffrent directions. I think it turned out very well.
Here you can see the other section of tube going into a wall , (my bedroom lol
) This is where the foraging tank will be and as you see in the next picture.
Here is another one of those L fittings we made , here it takes the tube along my bedroom wall to the tank , which is not there yet. Once connected this tube disappears throu the wall and back to the Setup in the shelving units.
We finally got around after nearly a days work to start fitting the containers and linking them up. (These will hold the fungus gardens)
. Your notice also a length of wood in the main entrance and exit tube , this has been scored alot with a small junior hacksaw so its nice and rough for the ants to grip.
Here you see is the main air vent which will let fresh air in and let the fungus garden air out etc. I dont add vents to the Containers as i find the ants just block this up as soon as they can. There will also be vent holes all the way down the foraging tubing to the tank.
And here you will see the finished setup. All thats needed is a few more bits of long tubing to connect up the tank and then add the ants.
Also as you can see on one of the pictures below , i have fitted a blind so when the colony is not being viewed i can lower it and darken their nest. Also its neat for when guests come over , all they will be able to see is a piece of weird looking furniture until they notice ants walking out of it
And finally here is the queen chamber, It is four smaller containers joined together. The idea is four small fungus gardens are here so the queen can wander between these but not go so deep as to not be seen. The containers also connect to the rest of the setup but do so by two smaller tubes that do not allow the queen throu. Therefore ensuring i know her whereabouts in need of any emergency or if i were to carry out population control.
Well theres my setup , hope you guys like it , feel free to comment or voice your opinions, it will also be good to see what your comments are. And also i will upload some more pictures once i get some more wages in a few weeks and buy my tank. And then i will update when i finally buy myself an Atta colony.