Camponotus largiceps

Re: Camponotus largiceps

Beitragvon 35016 » 21. Okt 2017 11:33

Hi all

I have a small colony of Camponotus largiceps as well as C. cruentatus.

Regarding the C. largiceps:

1. Do they hibernate? there seems to be conflicting information on this
2. What is their favourite food and what is considered a balanced diet? I feed them honey water and Dubia roaches right now, is that enough?

Regarding Cruentatus?

1. When do they start hibernating?

Thanks!

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Camponotus largiceps

Beitragvon HarryAnt » 21. Okt 2017 12:49

I think both (C. largiceps & Cruentatus) should have a small alleviated form of hibernate - similar to Messor barbarus for example.
So try to reduce the Temperatur for 4-6 weeks during ~ december to february to 15 degress +/-.

They will not stop completely the activity but all is reduced.

Maybe you know or can find out from which area your colonies came from and take a look on a climate diagram.

Your Food seems to be good. You can try to alternate it a bit. For example a bit pure honey, sugar water, maple syrup and for Proteine u can try all Kind of fly, Spiders or other insects you can find.
My favourite is Schokoschaben / Shelfordella lateralis cause they have good size and a soft armor and for small colonys I prefer fruit flys (the not flying Kind from zoo market).
HarryAnt

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 255 mal

Beitragvon AntsNational » 11. Jan 2022 18:38

Hi there :)

Cannot comment on C. largiceps, but I have kept C. cruentatus and hibernated mine from Late October to Mid-February. They seemed to do quite well. The fridge temperature was around 7 - 10 C.

Do make notes to check on them weekly to make sure the hydration is adequate, but not too much. A great way to look at it is to see some slight condensation droplets, if there is none it may be too dry in the nest which can be dangerous.

I took a younger colony out and they began to eat a cricket 2 hours out of diapause in the attached photo from a few years back. I also offer them a wider range of food, they like:

- Liquid protein :

Tablespoon of raw egg yolk + tablespoon of honey + small coffee cup [general average size 8-12 oz] + tablespoon of white granulated sugar + two drops of blue food coloring) . Mix well for 1-2 min.

-- This helps you see that they're taking in the right foods and vitamins from the yolk & the sugar diet which will be a visible blue in their social stomachs (and in the larvae too).

Other foods:

- Crickets dropped in boiling water (kills chances of pet-store grain mites)
- Mealworms dropped in boiling water
- 2-5 live Fruit fly larvae (D. hydei [the larger variant])

Hope this helps & good luck!

FC
Dateianhänge
Camponotus_cruentatus_Watermark.jpg
AntsNational

Land: Canada (ca)
Danke bekommen: 5 mal

Werbeanzeige: Camponotus largiceps

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag