Odontoponera transversa

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping exotic ants.

Odontoponera transversa

Beitragvon mpir » 21. Dez 2008 11:24

Hi guys

It's been a while, right? Well, I have a new one for you all. I was ant-sitting for a while for a firend of mine. He bought O. transversa from Antstore - so did the sticker say. Hits from google when searching for additional info on this ants looked very different. Anyway, the thing that amazed me the most was that this ants make some sort of jelly that they then feed on.

At first I just thought that the thing they were munching on is some protein jelly from antstore. Anyway, that jelly gone I normaly feed them with sweet water which they enjoed a lot. Of course I also gave them normal drinking water. But in a day or two the dish with normal drinking water for full of a new gelly thingy that they were eating. They continued to produce that jelly for the fortnight I've had them. Amazing, that was something new for me.

Oh, and one more great thing about this specie - they really can't climb the glass or smooth plastic. Forget about PTFE or lids, this guys have no chance of escaping from a glas basin - with no PTFE or lid. :D

Enjoy the pics.
Dateianhänge
Ot1.JPG
Ants with first jelly.
Ot2.JPG
Eating honey-water I gave them.
Ot3.JPG
Jelly that was made from my honey-water.
mpir

Land: Slovenia (si)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Odontoponera transversa

Re: Odontoponera transversa

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 22. Dez 2008 17:49

Very interesting mpir, thanks for sharing, i hope you keep us updated.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon mpir » 26. Dez 2008 16:58

Well, I was only ant-sitting for a fortnight and I've already returned this ants to owner, so unfortunately I can't keep you updated. However I've kind of liked this ants and I am considering of buying them if they will still be available in spring. :)

Anyway, I was hoping that somebody who had any kind of experience with this ants would explain a bit more about the whole jelly-making thing. Looking forward to that.
mpir

Beitragvon Ant mad » 27. Dez 2008 00:49

did u give/or did they have any of this http://www.antstore.net/shop/product_info.php/info/p75_Aqua-Crystals-Gel-400ml---water-gel.html ?
because that is what it looks like to me(couild be wrong lol) and ive had stuff like that (not that much tho), and i have seen it go kinda honey looking like that with my rubra if i've ever droped a bit in the honeywater.
just a thought.
Ant mad

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon mpir » 6. Jan 2009 20:07

No, they did not receive or had any jelly. The interesting thing that amazes me is that this specie is aparently able to make it. That is the only logical conclusion.
mpir

Werbeanzeige: Odontoponera transversa

Zurück zu Experience with exotic ants