M. barbarus and P. pallidula hibernation

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping european ants.

M. barbarus and P. pallidula hibernation

Beitragvon damondeionno » 31. Okt 2008 14:31

Hi all. I have a small colony of each. Initially the colonies shrunk quite a bit, but now they are doing well with lots of brood and new workers emerging.

I know that it is about the time for putting them into hibernation, but I don't want to lose the brood that is currently developing. Both colonies have reasonable egg clusters as well as larvae at all stages and pupae.

Can anyone advise on whether I should hold on? What's the minimum hibernation time? Should I just put them in to hibernation and hope the brood are ok?

Thanks
damondeionno

Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: water gel 500ml - Aqua Crystal Gel

Re: M. barbarus and P. pallidula hibernation

Beitragvon The_Paranoid » 31. Okt 2008 14:57

Pheidole pallidula will be fine without hibernation, but if you want you can hibernate.
Putting the Messor barbarus in hibernation in mid november should be fine. Then they should be at 10°C to 15°C for about 3 months. Wouldn't care about the brood too much. As long as it isn't below 10°C brood should be ok.
The_Paranoid

Land: Germany (de)

Re: M. barbarus and P. pallidula hibernation

Beitragvon damondeionno » 31. Okt 2008 15:01

Thanks for that advice. I kept pallidula before and didn't hibernate them, it's just that I keep reading that the queen needs it. I'll take your word for it. I don't want the colony to get absolutely huge anyway.

I will hold on a bit with the Messor.
damondeionno

Werbeanzeige: water gel 500ml - Aqua Crystal Gel

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Experience with european ants