ant cataloge

ant cataloge

Beitragvon ford-ute » 12. Mär 2008 09:31

Hi guys

Im looking at establishing an ant cataloge of ants in my local area (sorry that this might not have any benifits for the people hear) i am thinking of using pitfall traps to collect the ants so i would like to ask a few questions

1 what camera setups do you guys use to take good photos?

i have a small digital camera with a macro setting and am hoping to get a close up filter for it but maybe a new camera is the way to go i am currently reading some macro photograghy stuff but its all top of the line stuff $2000 - $4000 australian i dont have that sort of money to invest in the hobby

2 what manifying devices do you guys use to identify your sps?

the Aust web sits for id of ant sps get quite involve eg number of segments in the antena

3 if you were to conduct this exersice would you keep a dead ant for display not just photos?

i am planing on live captures so i will release all ants court (and other insects that fall into the trap)and if you would keep a specimin how would you recommend keeping it

4 would you set a special night trap?

im planning on collecting traps once a day and leaving all night but would you set and collect some traps just for dark hours so you can tell what ants are nocturnal only not just wonder in in the early hours.

there are some very rear sps of ants that have only been collected on three of four occasions with only 1 to 4 works capture at a time and my theory is that it is because they are nocturnal and also rear but nocturnal so we dont see them much

Im sorry for the long post but as you can see i have a few questions any help on any of them would be great
ford-ute

Land: Australia (au)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: ant escape protection lacquer 10ml

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 12. Mär 2008 10:21

Hiya ford take a look at Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar for help on what cam to get :D
SteveUK28

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon miszt » 12. Mär 2008 13:00

I use a Pentax 100D with a reversed 35mm lens, and can take great shots with it...

Bild
miszt

Beitragvon ford-ute » 13. Mär 2008 00:45

steveuk28
thanks for the link steve it is most useful

miszt
that is a great shot and is exactly the kind of detail i am looking to achive i saw a cataloge with that camera in it today and i might have a look at it but i will see what i can achive with my camera before goin g out and spending $700 for that camera i might upgrade to it soon but

once again great shot
ford-ute

Land: Australia (au)

Beitragvon zachman030 » 17. Aug 2008 18:06

hmm try getting an old jam jar put some jam in it put vasiline round side dig smal hole put jar in and put under stone could work
zachman030

Werbeanzeige: ant escape protection lacquer 10ml

Zurück zu Research and science