- Militants Exotic Species Journal -

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping exotic ants.

- Militants Exotic Species Journal -

Beitragvon MilitANT » 15. Jan 2008 04:36

Monday: January 14th, 2008 --

Ants arrived today from Argentina: a Camponotus blandus Queen and Acromyrmex Queen. Both are very active; I hope this is indicative of good health. C. blandus is absolutely gorgeous. The acromyrmex is unique, smaller than I expected. I've seen pictures of both species online before but it's different finally seeing them in person.

C. blandus had 3 eggs scattered throughout her test tube; I assume this is because the package was shaken during travel. The acromyrmex Queen has what looks like a small white seed at the end of her tube, placed directly on the cotton plug. It doesn't look like fungus so I'm going to assume it is just a seed.

The plastic tubes the Queens arrived in were very small. I immediately moved them into bigger glass test tubes. I cut off the section the c. blandus Queen had her eggs in and placed it within the new, bigger test tube. The acromyrmex didn't have eggs but cut off the end of her plastic tube where the seed was stationed and placed it in the test tube with her.

I am worried about the acromyrmex Queen. It is a very difficult species to keep. Even in the best conditions, colonies seem to fail. I thought myself prepared for the 'challenge' but a bit of bad news took me off guard: I learned that the Queen might not have any fungus -- this was days AFTER she was shipped to me, mind you. It pissed me off to learn this but I couldn't spend time being angry, I needed to find a bit of fungus for her and fast.

I still haven't found anyone who could send me a piece of their fungus garden so I am worry she will die. I will do my best to find a way to keep her alive but right now I don't think she will.

Updates to come...

EDIT:

The c. blandus Queen has 4 eggs. The acromyrmex Queen has one. I also noticed the acromyrmex Queen removed the mass that looks like a seed and placed it on the roof of the test tube. It is much thicker than I thought with dark brown dots on it. I'm hoping against hope this is a big of fungus. I will purchase leaves for the Queen to mulch tomorrow. I did not buy any early as I did not know when exactly she would arrive and I didn't want plants dying on me.
MilitANT

Land: United States (us)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 15. Jan 2008 11:00

Militant.. Antstore sell Fungus???
SteveUK28

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon MilitANT » 15. Jan 2008 12:34

SteveUK28 hat geschrieben:Militant.. Antstore sell Fungus???

They don't ship to America. Maybe if someone purchased a bit of fungus and shipped it to me, I could repay them all of the cost but that seems like it would take a lot of time... Still, I'm willing to do it if anyone is willing to help.
MilitANT

Beitragvon MilitANT » 16. Jan 2008 16:21

Wednesday: January 16th, 2008--

C. blandus has 4 eggs and spends 50% of her time stationary, hovering over them and the other 50% scurrying around the test tube, trying to escape. I've seen this behavior before in Queens and it usually dies down after a day or so. Checking on her this morning, her erratic behavior seems to have stopped, hopefully for good.

The acromyrmex Queen has two perfectly round eggs. I've never seen eggs like hers before. I've given her two leaves which she immediately went for and dragged over to the moist end of the test tube. Her bit of 'fungus' is still white with brown dots -- I'm still not sure if this is fungus but I will treat it as such until I know for sure. She has not placed her eggs on it which I read most acromyrmex Queens do so I don't know what to think.

In other news, my tetramorium colony is still going strong. I placed their container near the warmth of the heating lamp I'm using for the acromyrmex queen and the increase in temperature has created more activity.
MilitANT

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 16. Jan 2008 17:46

I'm still not sure if this is fungus

If it is white with brown dots i'm guessing it is fungus, give here leaves she will expand the fungus. ;)
If possible make some pictures of it so that we can be sure it is fungus.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon kashmir79 » 16. Jan 2008 23:24

hope everything works out for you :)

be an awful shame to lose a beauty like a Leafcutter Queen :(

:D
kashmir79

Beitragvon MilitANT » 17. Jan 2008 05:48

Jimmyve:

I don't have a good camera. I tried to take pictures with my webcamera but even the large blandus queen was just a small black blob. :(

Kasmir:

She is a wonderful specimen and I am doing everything I can to save her. I just got a PM from someone who might be able to help me. I wonder how long she can last just on her wing reserves and no fungus... :(
MilitANT

Beitragvon kashmir79 » 17. Jan 2008 15:47

well atleast there is some hope :)

i hope it all works out for you !

oh and how big is the Blandus Queen ?
kashmir79

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 17. Jan 2008 20:20

Camponotus blandus queen 10-12 mm

Yes militant i hope it works out just fine. ;)
JimmyVe

Beitragvon MilitANT » 19. Jan 2008 04:55

January 18th, 2008--

The acromyrmex queen is dead. She died just minutes ago. She seemed to be doing well all day until just a few minutes ago. After she died I opened her test tube and saw her two eggs were gone and there was no apparent fungus. The next time I attempt to house this species I will order three Queens (pleometrosis) and a established bit of fungus. If I had known she did not come with fungus, I would not have asked for her.

In a bit of good news the blandus Queen is doing just great. She has a bundle of eggs which are too small for me too count -- I can guess maybe 4 or 5. She hovers over them and does not move. I want to feed her something but I am unsure what... Anyone here with experience with blandus know what they like to eat?
MilitANT

Beitragvon ant dude » 19. Jan 2008 11:11

sorry bout u'r queen :(

cant help u tho with this one...
ant dude

Beitragvon MilitANT » 19. Jan 2008 12:14

ant dude hat geschrieben:sorry bout u'r queen :(

cant help u tho with this one...

I didn't think so. Unless you have the powers of resurrection.
MilitANT

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 19. Jan 2008 12:37

So.. How many queens have u lost now???? Perhaps you might stick with some easy ants now untill you have plenty of experience. :pain: :evil:
SteveUK28

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 19. Jan 2008 14:54

Anyone here with experience with blandus know what they like to eat?

I have a colony for more than a year now, they like everything, i mean from insects. ;) Also honey ore sugar water. Try it out. ;)

@ all: I can not follow all the post but try to keep it friendly. I'm not sure how many queens where lost but if that is true, yes it may be better to get some experience before you try more difficult species. I know they are nice but it are animals. So don't risk there live just for you pleasure. Thanks.
JimmyVe

Beitragvon MilitANT » 19. Jan 2008 20:03

Jimmyve: I told you over MSN Steve has been nothing but rude to me. He seems to hate me for mistakes I made when I was 13. Back then I didn't know what I was doing and I lost many of my colonies. I've learned a lot over the years and now I'm better at ant keeping. I'm not going to keep defending myself for things that happened nine years ago. I don't talk to him on MSN anymore because all he does it berate me. If he continues to be hostile on the forums I will go to the moderators. I won't be bullied for no reason.
MilitANT

Nächste

Zurück zu Experience with exotic ants