Keeping Solenopsis invicta

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping exotic ants.

Beitragvon CapitalO » 16. Nov 2007 19:11

I would never consider releasing fire ants back into nature. They are a huge problem around my area; native ground nesting fauna has taken a big hit from these super invasive ants.

on a side note: Ive been doing a bit of research on Camponotus americanus, theyre quite large and very cool looking. Anyone have any experience with these?
CapitalO

Land: United States (us)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon CapitalO » 16. Nov 2007 19:34

This is amazing- a fire ant raft (see link). These ants are so tough, its scary.

Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar
CapitalO

Beitragvon darradar » 16. Nov 2007 20:03

hmm i have seen something like this on the television in a nature program, it was very interesting, though these ants had delibratley entered the water in this form, in order to move down stream and find more/better food, they have adapted this form of water travel to aid the growth and well being of the colony.
darradar

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon ant dude » 16. Nov 2007 20:19

hi darradar,i wacthed a program like that to. i found it quite intresting to hearing/wacthing them going down streams.........if there where only more programs about ants! :sad02:
ant dude

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 19. Nov 2007 20:12

@ ant dude: in deed, more programs about ants would be nice. ;)

@ Purifier: as for as i know not. but i can not say that for sure. Don't know which ants every keeper has.

@ CapitalO: very nice, the raft thing, did not knew that.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 30. Nov 2007 10:35

I must admit these ants really do interest me and it would be great to see them in a captive nest area.. preferabily behind toughened glass lol
Im not sure it would ever be possible to keep them in this country or legal.. but if it was.. and it was a few years down the line.. i think i would give it a go at keeping them ;)
SteveUK28

Beitragvon miszt » 30. Nov 2007 13:46

Nice pic :D army ants also enter water if they need to, but they tend to build bridges out of themselves
miszt

Beitragvon Necturus » 30. Nov 2007 21:21

SteveUK, that would be a HELL of a stupid thing to do. along the lines of swallowing stuff that explodes. with the difference that that would only kill you. not your entire little islands ecosystem.
Welcome as a nominee on the "worlds stupidst" list, struggling hard to get on top. keep them ideas comin.
Necturus

Beitragvon CapitalO » 30. Nov 2007 23:49

Necturus - Thats a bit harsh :/ Anyone would agree keeping these ants in an area where they haven't been introduced is an awful idea. Although, they are not nearly as 'deadly' as you might believe. Some individuals are allergic to them, just as some people are allergic to bees; but thats really the only case where their deadly. Ive been stung several times and they are no doubt very painful, but there are numerous other common critters that pack the same sort of punch.
CapitalO

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 30. Nov 2007 23:53

Thanks Capital i thought it was a bit harsh.. as i said.. i would only attempt to keep these ants after a fair few years of keeping ants.
And then ONLY if it was Legal and there was colonys in this country.. Im not about to try and get them illegaly or try and keep them with no experience.. im not stupid!!!
SteveUK28

Beitragvon ant dude » 1. Dez 2007 00:06

well said!..........it seems im not the only one getting into arguments lol.

but in all fairness,he has probaly had a tough day at uninevrersity or somthing we all have bad days when we get a bit angury and take it out on the people of the almighty ANTSORE forum(i do anyway/even though it aint really fair lol) as from other posts by nectures he explains that he dosent have much time to himself, so u cant really blame him he never probaly has much time to unwind from his stressful long day.........so give him a break!!!

im not picking sides, but we dont want another argument on this forum there is already anouth lol. although steve uk28 did'nt say he was going to get them 4 definate.
ant dude

Beitragvon Necturus » 1. Dez 2007 00:23

Hey guys,
i dont wanna start any argument about it. The idea is simply stupid, and i feel pointing that out very directly is the best way of lighting that little lightbulb over peoples heads.
@CapitalO: i never implied they are especially harmfull to humans. I was refering to the entire ecosystem. And since i seem to be in the need of going into detail on that subject, here goes:
Solenopsis invicta now inhabit every single continent BESIDES europe in ammounts that cost several 100 Millions of Dollars to keep them in check ( NOT remove them!!). In their surronding, they decimate more then 90% of the biodiversity. Ever heard of Moromonium pharaonis? Go to your local zoo or hospital then and look around, youre bound to find them! No way of EVER getting rid of them. Who wouldnt want a phatogene carrier in our hospitals?
Using your car too much is harmfull to your ecosystem. Introducing an invasive species (especially when there are tens of thousands of other ants!!) to an yet unconquerd terrain is way beyond that. Ever met someone that would say AND mean "Nuke the Whales"? How would you react?
So yea, sorry if i am beeing harsh. Someone is needed to say what i say, since it seems easily forgotten on behalf of ones own hobbies. Im not taking chances to lose my message in sugar coating.
Thanks also ant dude for trying to mediate, but despite university taking most of my time, i still find time for those important topics, especially when i am the only one willing to dampen the spirits. And on any other topic, i consider myself to be a very friendly chap you wouldnt mind having a beer with ;)
Greetings,
Necturus
Necturus

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 1. Dez 2007 02:01

Well Necturus as i said.. I wouldnt be bringing them into an echosystem that never already had them.
Jeez we are talking about Fire Ants here.. The possibility of actually being able to own a colony in the UK in the next 20 years is prob somat like 1 billion to 1. So I doubt very very much i will ever had a colony. IF by some chance there came a time where fire ants where in this country like they are other.. say the US for instance THEN i would want them.. not when there is a chance they could possibly escape and kill the echo system.. I would have thought that sense would have told you that no1 in there right mind would do that... Hopefully this is now the end of it!!
Ohh and if ur buying the beers.. mine is a bud ;)
SteveUK28

Beitragvon CapitalO » 1. Dez 2007 20:27

I took a class in biodiversity last semester, so I'm well aware of the impact that introduced invasive species cause. The RIFA has been devastating for many species (especially where I live), and the saddest part is that they are still fairly small-time in the game of invasive species. If anyone else is interested in this sort of stuff, check out some of the more recent scientific articles about Easter Island. Very interesting stuff with a clear take home message :)

Necturus - I agree with your point entirely, I thought the personal attack was unnecessary though. I just wanted to clear up the misconception a lot of people have about the RIFA being so deadly to people. Although, I see thats not what you were saying ;) Out of curiosity, what are you studying and at what university? (I really don't want that to come across as questioning your authority or anything else like that. I'm a university student as well and I was wondering if we could be doing related studies. I'm a junior (3rd year) at the College of Charleston majoring in biochemistry.)
CapitalO

Beitragvon Necturus » 1. Dez 2007 21:32

Hey Captial,
yea, my sarcasm cost me a bud already.
I dont quite get the american educational system to be honest. But i think i would be a biology major on route to diploma and hopefully promotion. i do know though that you use the term "diploma" for something completely different, though i dont quite know what ;) No studies yet, though.
Whats up with the permanganate?
Necturus
Necturus

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Experience with exotic ants