Agghhhhh Mould!

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping european ants.

Agghhhhh Mould!

Beitragvon Gary D » 16. Okt 2007 14:49

I have come back from a 2 week holiday and there is surface mould in the nesting area of my Aphaenogaster senilis (on one side). My brother has been feeding them for me, and, since I went away the buildings heating came on - im guessing the warmer temp has caused the mould to develop.

The ants have been fine/active but they have now moved the entrance to the nest away from the mouldy area. I have no idea how to remedy this - removing the mould will disturb them. I have no idea how to add ventilation either.

I have 'ANTSTORE Starter Set - glassfarm/arena - classic' and was going to hibernate them in the next few weeks.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Gary
Dateianhänge
DSC00333.jpg
Gary D

Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon miszt » 16. Okt 2007 15:34

hibernation should get rid of the mold, make sure the basin is well ventilated, and remove any foods thats lying about, if u can remove the mold without damaging the tunnels, then go for it, how big is the colony?
miszt

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon Gary D » 16. Okt 2007 16:49

I dont think i can access the nest area for long enough without the ants running to the surface and escaping & the mold is about 1 inch from the tunnel.

Could i place the basin in the fridge and then remove everything before they come round?

The colony is about 10-12 workers + queen & unknown amount of brood
Gary D

Beitragvon miszt » 16. Okt 2007 16:55

yeah that shuld work fine :) hibernation will kill off any remaining molds, as they usually need warm air

u need to have some kind of escape prevention in your basin so that you can get into the basin easily....i can promise you this wont be the last time u need to!

a simple solution would b to put a 1-2cm band of vasaline around the top of the basin, not sure if this would stop this speicies, but it works for all the ones i've tried it with :)
miszt

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 16. Okt 2007 17:11

Make sure there is ventilation in you farm, otherwise the mould would come back.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon Purifier » 16. Okt 2007 18:33

Yeah....this damn fu**ing mold. I have the same problem with my Messor spec.
But my colony dont have hibernation so i have to look what can i do for it ^^
Purifier

Land: Germany (de)

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 16. Okt 2007 18:50

Messors without hibernation ? I thought they need about 2-3 months at least.
JimmyVe

Beitragvon Purifier » 16. Okt 2007 21:58

No. My ones are Messor spec. from the orient (Asia Minor)....so they dont have hibernation ;)
Purifier

Land: Germany (de)

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 17. Okt 2007 17:23

Ah, Okay. That explains allot. ;)
JimmyVe

Beitragvon Gary D » 17. Okt 2007 17:55

what is the best was to ventilate the nest area when its is only 1.5 cm thick? (antstore starter kit)

There are two holes either side at the top one connected to the tube which runs to the foraging area and the other has the rubber bung in (i use this to add water droplets into a tube which runs to the bottom of the nest area) The mould has formed on the surface of the loam/sand by the connecting tube....

Thanks
Gary
Gary D

Beitragvon MrNixy » 22. Okt 2007 21:56

You need a clean airflow coupled with surface scraping and old food removal.

Ideal case is to have an air pump with a 3 way spliter and 3 airstones, two underground at either side of teh nest and one above ground, this will keep the air clean above and below ground.

You have to surface scrape every week, not many people do this but it works, them little japanease stone gardens you get, get a mini rake from one and put fine mesh around thebottom of it to make like a net, run this above the surface of your sand or soil, about 3mm from ground level, this will pick up any mold that forms as to start with its very hard to see, you can try to rake the sand if your ants holes arnt in the way, turning it over inhibits mould!

ALWAYS take out old food, they wont eat it and its just sits and rots. most mould can form at 21oC>= so keep it below that temp if you can otherwise wait for hibernation, mould dies in cold weather :)

Remeber Clean Air, Clean Surface, Clean Dishes:
CACSCD

Regards,
Nixy
MrNixy

Zurück zu Experience with european ants