archaeology

archaeology

Beitragvon cassvenn » 29. Mai 2006 05:35

Hi,
I'm an archaeology student from the university of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia. For my honours next year I am going to be conducting an experiment using an Australian ant species to determine how much soil is moved around by that particular ant species. In order to do this I need to get my hands on an ant colony. So far antstore is the only place I've found that sells ant colonies. Is it possible to have a colony shipped to Australia? If not do you know how I can get my hands on one? Also I noticed that you sell a number of Australian species, can you let me know how to get one from Australia? or did you dig one up yourselves? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Cassandra Venn
cassvenn

Land: Australia (au)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 29. Mai 2006 16:24

you can dig up a colonie yourself but make sure you get the hole colonie with queen, otherwise you colonie don't make a change of surviving. Don't forget that keeping ants is not just a hobby. ;)
If you dig up a colonie yourself its easy to study from it, because if you buy one its most of the time a small colonie and its takes a few months (years) to get the colonie to there full strength.
you can wait to swarm time but than you have to start from 0 and that takes time.

Hope the info I'm giving is helping you with your project. ;)
Questions: just ask.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

archaeology

Beitragvon cassvenn » 1. Jun 2006 05:37

Thank you so much for your help! Can you tell me how to go about digging one up?

Cass
cassvenn

Land: Australia (au)

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 1. Jun 2006 17:32

You just have to find a nest and dig it up ;) Be carful with the digging, depend witch nest there in, the easiest one is when they have a nest in the sand.

You can also buy a colonie from someone, a friend of mine just buys one from 10.000 workers and several queens. But you must find someone ho's selling ;) You can find them on the net.

But what do you want to do, - Buy a full size colonie (mostly a lot of money)
- Start a new colonie (takes a lot of time)
- or dig one up. (be carful with it ;) )
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon miszt » 1. Jul 2007 23:49

be careful which ants you dig up aswell, u dont want to end up wiv a bunch of angry bulldog ants crawling up your leg!
miszt

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Zurück zu Research and science