What should I expect with Pheidole species ants?

Hier kann diskutiert und gefragt werden.

Re: What should I expect with Pheidole species ants?

Beitragvon SpeciesK » 14. Mär 2017 07:17

I dug up a colony of ants a couple weeks ago. I thought it was Tetramorium sp. because they were all small workers. They were not very interested in canned dead crickets or candy, but I was happy enough with them. Then I fed them live Superworms (Zophobos morio larvae) a couple days ago. The ants went berserk attacking them! :o And I also discovered they are not Tetramorium sp. ants, but are Pheidole sp. ants because I saw major ants (soldiers) for the first time! :shock: Because of where I live, I am guessing they are Pheidole bicarinata ants, but don't know that to be the case. I was caught by surprise by what kind of ants they are and am now trying to find information about them. I am having trouble finding information about Pheidole ants of any kind. I would guess they act very much alike between species. :?: So I would like to ask you world antkeeping experts for advice keeping my new ants.
What should I expect? Please tell me what I need to know about Pheidole ants because I don't know anything :oops: and I don't know anyone who keeps ants as pets. Thanks! :mrgreen:
SpeciesK

Land: United States (us)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon Graffisch » 22. Jan 2021 11:21

They are growing fast and need lots of food :grin:
Graffisch

Land: Lesotho (ls)

Beitragvon Graf Alex » 22. Jan 2021 12:56

Hi!
I also keep Pheidole megacephala since last year, and they're growing fast. It is difficult to keep this species for a long amount of time, because they need a lotta food. I feed them 5 adult roaches and 100 small flys per DAY. Pheidole workers are really small and they like to escape. It is important to close the formicarium, if its possible. They always need fresh, clean water and suger water. You can also feed them crushed nuts or crushed seeds. But they are great to watch! It is really fantastic how they devour roaches...

Ps: I suggest you ask for help in the international forum! I fear this is the german section ; )
Graf Alex

Land: Switzerland (ch)

Zurück zu Pheidole - Diskussion und Fragen