Project

Re: Project

Beitragvon tomorrownight » 8. Mai 2011 08:38

Ive been offered a really good opportunity, to work in a lab and set my own title for a research project.

If you could study anything to do with Acromyrmex o. Or leaf cutters in general What would it be? You can use all sorts of facilities i am just looking idea for ideas.
tomorrownight

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon adam james » 8. Mai 2011 18:43

It be really good if you could find out how to breed leaf cutting ants in captivity. Would be a great project to reintroduce mated queens back into there parent colony. :D

Regards

Adam
adam james

Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon tomorrownight » 9. Mai 2011 22:30

hah! this is actually what my head of department has suggested, im currently doing research for papers about that now. Apparently its never been done before. However i did find one lab that did it, but it was an old colony, with any hundreds of litres of Fungus! not sure our facility would let us keep that much ant fungus!
does anyone know any good papers or blogs or anything about the creation of Alates in captivity? would be intersting to find things like age, and temperatures and feeding habbits, even in non-attini ants.
tomorrownight

Beitragvon jbc » 10. Mai 2011 04:45

Hi!

Nice that you got this project.

Maybe you could study Camponotus gigas as we know they are hard to keep. Maybe you could like make a care sheet?

Thats only my opinion.
jbc

Land: Latvia (lv)

Beitragvon adam james » 10. Mai 2011 07:08

Ive read once a colony of leaf cutters gets over a certain size it then will start producing Alates as it would in the wild , the only problem is getting them to fly or mate :?. I was told a few years ago the size required was over 3 football size fungus gardens , once this was achieved the colonys then go into reproducing reproductives. Do you know how they managed to do the breeding with that old colony. Ive just set up my own Atta Cephalotes colony , i would be willing to exchange males with somone once my colony gets upto breeding potential in a few years. :D
adam james

Beitragvon bugsy » 10. Mai 2011 07:23

I'm pretty sure a guy who ran a company called zoostock achieved captive brieding about 10 years ago with Acromyrmex but refused to disclose how it was done. He sold me a colony back then too. There was a good reason why he didn't disclose.

Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar
bugsy

Beitragvon adam james » 10. Mai 2011 07:52

Hello Bugsy , yeah ive read those threads already im still not convinced they actually managed to breed them in captivity. It would be a great oppertunity to be able to succesfully mate leaf cutter ants in captivity , Imagine your colonys mature with thousands and thousands of workers , it would be extremly impressive , then the queen dies and thats it your colony dies to nothing , what a great loss but with mating in captivity you could of had two queens in the colony , your queens daughters all mated and there to take over should anythink tragic happen.

You could in fact have a ever lasting colony in theory.
:P
adam james

Beitragvon arthurnottheking » 27. Jan 2020 11:13

Does anyone have an access to the Florida Atlantic University library? I need a copy of a pdf research paper Observations on a little-known leaf-cutting ant, Acromyrmex volcanus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae).
arthurnottheking

Land: United States (us)

Beitragvon arthurnottheking » 27. Jan 2020 11:14

arthurnottheking hat geschrieben:Re: Project
Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbarHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar
Does anyone have an access to the Florida Atlantic University library? I need a copy of a pdf research paper Observations on a little-known leaf-cutting ant, Acromyrmex volcanus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae).

I'm working on a new Entomology project and need help with the bibliography list. Hope someone has got a similar topic and can share some resources.
arthurnottheking

Land: United States (us)

Zurück zu Research and science