Building cork/acrylic farm

Re: Building cork/acrylic farm

Beitragvon Uncletommy » 29. Mai 2014 10:33

Hello - I decided to give building a farm a go. It is for my new Camponotus herculeanus colony.
I have a few questions - do I need to attach some kind of red flap to stop light getting into the cork part or can they just stay in the light all the time?

I still need to drill the ventillation holes and attach the hinges for the lid, oh, and drill the moisture holes.

What do you think?
Dateianhänge
front.jpg
Uncletommy

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon mati » 29. Mai 2014 10:55

Looks really nice!
As in my first home-made nest the chambers seem to be rather large. What ant species is this for?
Anyway, your ants will probably adjust this nest to their needs...

I personally would attach some red plastic to create the illusion of underground or place the nest somewhere dark. Yet, I've seen/read of colonies thriving in an exposed nest.

Have a good housewarming party!
mati

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 12 mal

Beitragvon Uncletommy » 29. Mai 2014 11:00

I might chage the layout of the tunnels - I cut it out last night and was pretty liberal with the blade. I was toying with the idea of just using a red tinted piece of acrylic on the front instead of a clear one but thought it would look weird. Might just attach a thin piece on the fron which I can flip up.
Dateianhänge
cork.jpg
Uncletommy

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon Kale^^ » 24. Jul 2015 15:14

How are your ants doing? I have noticed that Camponotus herculeanus doens't really mind light at all.
Kale^^

Land: Finland (fi)

Beitragvon Nathan16 » 19. Okt 2017 20:50

Uncletommy hat geschrieben:Hello - I decided to give building a farm a go. It is for my new Camponotus herculeanus colony.
I have a few questions - do I need to attach some kind of red flap Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar to stop light getting into the cork part or can they just stay in the light all the time?

I still need to drill the ventillation holes and attach the hinges for the lid, oh, and drill the moisture holes.

What do you think?

Hello, me too, I have decided to build a farm, I have some question if you can help me
Nathan16

Land: Denmark (dk)

Beitragvon Lamina03 » 26. Jan 2019 01:03

Uncletommy hat geschrieben:I might chage the layout of the tunnels - I cut it out last night and was pretty liberal with the blade. I was toying with the idea of just using a red tinted piece of acrylic on the front instead of a clear oneHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar but thought it would look weird. Might just attach a thin piece on the fron which I can flip up.

How are you doing that??
Lamina03

Land: Botswana (bw)

Zurück zu Building a farm