Lasius niger Diary

Re: Lasius niger Diary

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 3. Jan 2009 13:58

Its a bit of an old topic, still... It wouldn't harm the colony if you leave the tube closed until they have 10 workers, but i also would open it sooner to feed the colony.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Lasius niger (Black Garden Ant)

Beitragvon ant kid » 24. Jan 2010 18:13

how are the ants doing? :)
ant kid

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon SUPERD9714 » 3. Sep 2014 16:57

no its absolutely fine the other ants will just taje them off and probably eat them
SUPERD9714

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon lossanmu » 21. Sep 2014 16:39

I read online that they eat grass seeds but you have had more experience so I will stop giving them

they do eat seed here website i found on google Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar

JimmyVe hat geschrieben:Why keep all 15 queens ? What are you going to do with them ? I don't understand people. If i catch queens i (at most) take 3 queens from the same species. If they all succeed in making a small colony i give 2 away or release them where i captured them. 1 colony of each species is more than enough.

if your colony got bigger bigger and then they get sick and die in winter you will haft to wait long time befor catching new queen i got 6 ants queen incase my colony die
lossanmu

Land: Sweden (se)

Beitragvon lossanmu » 21. Sep 2014 16:54

dodgydogman hat geschrieben:Also I brought a small colony of small red ants to England (hidden with my clothes). When I get hold of my camera I will post some pics in the ant identification section. I have been looking at some pics of ants, but my ants seem much smaller than any of them, and the queens (there are two) look different. it’s a tiny species.

if its a queen kill it if it get out it can make Invasion - Little Fire Ants in Hawaii Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar check video and you will se big risk
lossanmu

Beitragvon lossanmu » 21. Sep 2014 17:02

miszt hat geschrieben:no, they will kill each other and you may end up with none ;) also make sure you only collected de-alted queens, ie ones that had removed their wings, as this is the only way to tell if they are fertilized

depending on the species, I am assuming Lasius niger, as they flew today

they might be fertilized with wings my friend had colony and queen still got her wing on and laying eggs it bin month now and they are 100 workers or more
lossanmu

Beitragvon Quiol04 » 13. Mai 2018 22:48

dodgydogman hat geschrieben:I will start with a little about myself; I am 14, I have been fascinated by ants for as long as I can remember and have always wanted my own colony.

Feel free to chat and please answer my questions. Sorry it probably seems horribly clustered, this is my first diary and these are my first ants.

Tuesday 15th July
I ordered the colony from Edu-sci, as they are a UK company and I knew that the ants would be sent faster than AntStore (sorry AntStore). I was a little disappointed in Edu-Sci’s variety of types of ant farms but settled on Starter Set B.

Wednesday 16th July

My colony has arrived! That was fast. I unpacked my ants and the ant farm and proceeded to set everything up, I had read somewhere that it is good to keep my colony in the test tube until you have gotten about 10 workers. As my colony already had 16-18 (they are so hard to count…) I felt they would do fine. The Queen had a small pile of larvae, maybe 10-15.
I set up my farm, put a food dish and a water dish (with cotton wool to stop drowning) and added 1 drop of sugar water to the food dish, I made my own from water sugar and honey. Within 20 second of putting the test tube in and opening it, about 10 of the ants scurried towards the sugar water. I sat watching as they drank but became worried as a few seemed to Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar be trying to pull its head out of it pushing with its legs trying to get out of the solution. This became more panicked as they started using each other to get out, pushing each other into the drop. I watched thinking they would sort themselves out. Soon they a couple stopped moving. I pulled them out with a cocktail stick and dried it up, replacing it with a cotton ball. If I had left them I would have lost maybe 6 or 7 of my ants.
A couple of ants seem to be acting strangely, they are just staying in one place up in the digging area, very strange, I made a hole with a pencil next to them (thinking they were looking for a place to dig a home, they proceeded to move in (not the colony, just the two ants…). I added some cocoons from a colony I dug up earlier. The cocoons are almost as big as my queen, the ants seem to take no notice of them.
Lol busy day.

Friday 18th July

That small bunch of larvae has turned into about 10 cocoons. I think the queen laid another pile of eggs but its too dark to look at them (they might just be some larvae). They seem to be taking some bit’s a pieces of food I give them, so far; 2 fruit flies, a small part of a house fly and a couple of grass seed.
Hehe I love giving them grass seeds and watching them take them into their test tube :D

This edit took out tonnes of stupid stuff i have said :oops: I bet I have left a bit though :?

What a story :D
Quiol04

Land: France (fr)

Vorherige

Werbeanzeige: Lasius niger (Black Garden Ant)

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius