Cataulacus granulatus care aspects

Informationen, Haltungsberichte und Fotobeiträge - Diskussion und Fragen

Cataulacus granulatus care aspects

Beitragvon Danzel_From_Russia » 26. Nov 2017 21:14

Hello my European collegues!It's me,the guy who asked about Camponotua cruentatus.
I have a question but it's not about Camponotus species,but it is about Cataulacus granulatus.
My friend is the only person who keeps this species in our country and in order to help him I have written this topic.
He has colony consisting of queen+40 workers and brewed,they eat all sorts of protein food and honey water.
Now the questions:
1.Does this species have some problems early stages of colony?If yes,what are they?
2.What sorts of food are contraindicated?
3.How much time does it take ro develop from egg to ant?
4.How agressive this speceis is?
5.How strong Cataulacus exposed to mites
6.How strong it's exposed to stresses?
If there qill be more secrets in keeping this species both me and my friend will appreciate it
Danzel_From_Russia

Land: Russia (ru)
Danke bekommen: 2 mal
Ameisen: Haltungsbericht(1)

Re: Cataulacus granulatus care aspects

Beitragvon baumarkthammer » 27. Nov 2017 09:47

Привет Danzel,

this time you did come up with a really obscure species. There is a lot of information missing about them or at least I would say it is not very reliable (or I have not yet read it).

Generally Cataulacus much like its american counterpart, Cephalotes, is a arboricol (tree living) and wood dwelling genus. Which does naturally give them a certain resistance to stress and temperature changes compared to the ground dwelling ants. Trees move more, the temperature is changing rapidly and every little change in weather is noticable for those ants.
However that also means that a wooden nisting place is important for them.

That said small colonies can be tricky, though 40 workers is not really considered a small colony anymore. A founding queen or a colony with the very first workers is tricky in this species.

Information I have not come across yet is the time from egg to worker. I would assume that it will be somewhat comparable to a tropic Camponotus from the region however that is speculation on my side.
How they react to mites I have also not yet read, it is a rarley kept species, and have no information on them to even speculate.

I have had them briefly but they did not stand out in many aspects. They do love wood however and do not like to walk surfaces that are not wooden.
They are not agressive at all.
They mostly seem to thrive on sugary foods and small insects but will eat pretty much everything you will offer them.

Regards,
Kaj.
baumarkthammer
Ehrenmitglied
Ehrenmitglied

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 112 mal

Zurück zu Exotische Ameisenarten