Myrmica rubra: First Colony, advice?

Myrmica rubra: First Colony, advice?

Beitragvon Spart Ant » 11. Jul 2016 22:35

Hello, this is my first post as I'm new here! After spending several weeks doing some research, I purchased a ytong nest and around 25 Myrmica rubra; with a little soil, they are nested between the arena and ytong nest (I hope/plan that they will move into the bigger nest space when their numbers increase and they feel less stressed/threatened). Initially, they had a little honeywater and ate a beetle and a wild lasius niger. They seem to be very inactive now, just nestled in the soil and not really doing much. The ytong is damp, and there is a little meat, honeywater and water on the surface/in the arena. I understand that patience is key for keeping ants. Is there anything else I should be doing or could do? Could they be too cold?

There are around 25 workers, possibly 2 queens, a winged male and a pupae. The ant workers appear to be of varying ages as they are different in size and colour. They left the test tube quite quickly and explored the nest, not getting settled until I decided to add the soil.

I have had them for about a week now. They are in a pretty warm room. Any advice?
Spart Ant

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Myrmica rubra

Re: Myrmica rubra: First Colony, advice?

Beitragvon leon2004 » 12. Jul 2016 12:24

Hi,
I have never had a Myrmica colony, but I can tell you, that you shouldn't give them too much food at once.
To solve the big problem, I would heat up the Y-tong a tiny bit, but cool down the soil. How much soil do you actually have in there? And did you buy the soil? It would be helpful to know.
leon2004

Land: Germany (de)

Beitragvon Spart Ant » 12. Jul 2016 17:44

leon2004 hat geschrieben:Hi,
I have never had a Myrmica colony, but I can tell you, that you shouldn't give them too much food at once.
To solve the big problem, I would heat up the Y-tong a tiny bit, but cool down the soil. How much soil do you actually have in there? And did you buy the soil? It would be helpful to know.

Hi Leon2004,

Thank you for the advice!
They have a few drops of honey water, and a few drops of water. Enough on the glass of the arena that I can clean it up easily to replace it. In terms of food, there is a very, very small piece of beef. The soil is from my garden, where we grow organic plants so definitely nothing added. I also sifted carefully through the soil. And in terms of volume, the only way I could describe it is about 2/3rds of a test tube (they came in a 1.5mm wide, 15cm long test tube, aproximately).

They've actually been quite active today; they have started walling up one of the sections of the nest part of the ytong with soil, and I'm fairly sure they've been on the surface eating the beef. I had placed the red plastic that the test tube was wrapped in over a section of the nest, which they seem to have become drawn to as I had hoped.. I hope to see them feeding on the surface so that I know they are getting nutrition.

If they continue, they should have just enough soil to literally create their own sized nest within a chamber in the ytong, which would be ideal at this time since they are still a small colony.
Spart Ant

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon leon2004 » 12. Jul 2016 22:59

okay. that sounds much better. The next time, you might want to add soil,you should boil it with water, to kill all the nasty mites, wich might be dangerous for the ants.

Unfortunately, I don't use soil, for a Y-tong nest, because if they carry it into the nest, they might build up the glass, so that you don't see them anymore. Just give them time. and warm up the y-tong a tiny bit. but CAREFUL: DONT WARM UP TOO MUCH! [-X you should also always water the tong. but you should not water too much. I don't have these ants, so i don't know a lot, about how often to water them, but these are the basics.

Good Luck,
Leon2004
leon2004

Land: Germany (de)

Werbeanzeige: Myrmica rubra

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Myrmica