Questions about recent new farm with Messor barbarus

Help to the newbie

Questions about recent new farm with Messor barbarus

Beitragvon yonutz » 21. Dez 2014 17:38

Hello,

I recently purchased a small starter kit together with some Messor barbarus ants including one nice big lazy queen). I recieced them from Germany and happily after the long trip they arrived alive. These ants were bought as a Christmas gift for my father. But until Santa comes O have to take care of them and be sure they're ok and happy with their new nest.

I tried to arrange their little nest (it's a basin with embedded nest on one of the walls) as good as I could. Unfortunately not realizing I've put to much water (the clay/sand absorbed it later) and ended up having a humidity of 90%. After solving that and bringing the humidity to about 60%. Now my main issue is that they haven't left the glass vial they were transported in. They seem to like the humid cotton at it's end. Many of the worker ants went out exploring, but came back in the vial to their queen, eventually with some seems.

Taking into consideration I received them during their winter rest / hibernation period, is it normal for them not to setup a nest? Should I be worried? Or should I just let them take their time and wait?

Thanks in advance for any hints/advice :)
yonutz

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Questions about recent new farm with Messor Barbarus

Beitragvon GvG » 22. Dez 2014 01:40

They did set up a nest, it is in the vail, or testtube. It is not only for transportation, it is also the best place for them to live in until the colony grows bigger. Let them take their time.
GvG

Land: Netherlands (nl)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Questions for beginners