Oecophylla smaragdina

Oecophylla smaragdina

Beitragvon adam james » 17. Dez 2007 16:38

Mon
15:30 pm
17/12/07

Today my new colony arrived after a very long journey . I was extremly scared that the colony had not survived because just as they were sent, england had some very cold weather . ( Sods law )

The colony contains about 45 workers of diffrent sizes and a assorment of eggs and larva of diffrent stages . No pupae yet .

The queen is one handsome specimen and she seems to shine the most lovely green and brown.

I have made them a tree nest and its designe idea i got from the book (journey to the ants ) Where they keep there weaver ants in test tubes mounted on science stands .

I wanted a more natural look but with the test tubes , so i bought some test tubes from antstore and went shopping to my local pet shop for a stand.

I found several dry branches and bits of dry bark but nothing i could use .But then i spotted some realisting looking branches that have wire inside so there bendible . I bought several diffrent sizes so i could make a tree with brances i could bend to my liking . I thn found some reptile water bowls that looked like rock so bought a large and small size one .As a resuilt my tree had a base and now a island so no escape could happen .

Well now i had sorted out there nesting site , where would they be fed !. I then remembered that i had a ant island that i had ordered from antstore . I also had two bags of moss and a few bits and pieces incluiding some of the fake branches from the tree i had put together earlyer . This came together to make a food area with a natural looking bridge between the two .

The resuilt after i had put all these together are in the pictures below . Incluiding photos of the ants after they had been added . :)

21:25

I have some good news. While i was looking into the test tube i noticed a few small workers tending the queens adomen and while i watched several eggs were produced and carried away, cleaned and added to the pile already being tended . :) :grin:

Tues 18/12/07
11:55 am

Not alot has happened since yestarday. The queen has laid more eggs during the night as the egg pile has grown. The workers are still in test tube and have not came out and explored. I have put in a freshly killed cricket and placed a drop of sugar water at the test tube entrance . Both of these were not touched. Colony is very active thou and queen is laying eggs and all workers tend larva and eggs alot so all looks well :)

Please can u use this link for any questions or advice you may have .
http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=6904

Thankyou for reading

Adam :D
Dateianhänge
PICT0064.JPG
Tree sits in small water bowl and this all sits in the large one with water around to stop escapes .
PICT0068.JPG
Realistic looking branches are bent and shaped to hold test tubes. Many test tubes to accomadate future growth .
PICT0070.JPG
Food area with walkway .
PICT0071.JPG
Decorated to look nice and natural. Also has a small water bowl for fresh water and next to that a small pad of bark to put food on .
PICT0060.JPG
Queen and workers
PICT0061.JPG
Workers investigate entrance
PICT0057.JPG
Workers with larvas
PICT0063.JPG
adam james

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Oecophylla smaragdina (austral. weaver ants)

Beitragvon adam james » 19. Dez 2007 21:33

Wend 19/12/07
20:17 pm

Today has been a great day for my colony i have observed several behaviours and my colony have tucked into a drop of invert sugar i put in the test tube . I am pleased about that :D

Worker egg laying :: I have observed several workers laying eggs. The workers start cleaning there abdomen and then a small egg appears, as soon as it is laid several workers join in and eat it .

Workers response to queen:: I have witnessed several times a strange response in my colony. In colonys usally the workers tend the queen , feed her and groom her , This is the same in my colony but every now and then the queen seems able to call workers to her on mass . The workers will be tending larva , eggs and doing cleaning dutys but then there will be a sudden rush of a few workers to the queen and they all crowd around her with the antena waving madly as if there waiting for her to produce somthing . This is somthing i shall look more into .

Please can u use this link for any questions or advice you may have . http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=6904

Thankyou for reading :D

Adam
adam james

Beitragvon adam james » 22. Dez 2007 22:24

Sat/22/12,07

21:18

There has been some activity in the colony lately the workers have now started to come out the test tube and explore the area. The colony have also been feeding on sugar water and have yet to start eating insects . The queen is very active and often sits busily cleaning herself and taking part in claning the larva . :grin:

Please can u use this link for any questions or advice you may have . http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=6904

Thankyou for reading

Adam
adam james

Re: Oecophylla smaragdina

Beitragvon thendonz » 29. Jul 2014 11:34

awesome........ loveable environment you have =D>
thendonz

Land: Indonesia (id)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon adam james » 29. Jul 2014 18:12

thank you mate , this thread is at least 8 years old mate , haven't kept weaver ants again since that colony died out.
adam james

Beitragvon thendonz » 30. Jul 2014 02:47

heehehee... that's spread to me now, after 8 years

i found an Oecophylla smaragdina so interesting ... so fascinating....
thendonz

Land: Indonesia (id)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Oecophylla smaragdina (austral. weaver ants)

Zurück zu Oecophylla