Temperature

Temperature

Beitragvon TheWoolman » 28. Mai 2014 14:46

I want to get a colony of Messor barbarus cause I love the fact they have major and are quite large. But I live in the UK where it's is 19-21 degrees room temperature. Is it possible to have a thriving colony without extra heating?
TheWoolman

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Temperature

Beitragvon yomchi86 » 28. Mai 2014 17:07

Hello there - I too am from the UK and have a colony of Messor barbarus - They certainly are interesting to watch and see the difference in size between them! I bought a £7.99 heat mat off ebay - 4 watt I think it was for use in a reptile tank. Its not too warm but does provide warmth if it drops cold over night. From what I have read - Messor barbarus will be just fine without a heat source as long as the room isn't too cold. I can't remember what temperature they hibernate at but I believe that the extra heat speeds up brood development.

Your room temperature you mention above should be just fine I think - I've personally had no issues with temps down to 15 degrees C in my room - the ants are still happily wandering around. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.
yomchi86

Beitragvon TheWoolman » 28. Mai 2014 17:15

Thank you for your reply! I will look foward to getting my harvester ants!
TheWoolman

Beitragvon yomchi86 » 28. Mai 2014 23:10

They are great, enjoy them :-)

Mine seem to enjoy chicken, salmon, crickets, seeds (of course), wafer thin Ham, and sunflower seeds. My other half says that I spoil them :-)
yomchi86

Zurück zu Messor