Wintertime shipping Lasius niger

Wintertime shipping Lasius niger

Beitragvon intellected » 22. Dez 2013 14:37

Hi,

I have just recieved my small colony of Lasius niger trough shipping and figured out that because its winter they should be put in hybernation. Right decision?
Upon recieving the testtube the colony seemed already very slow. I had already prepared their nest so I have put the test tube in the arena connected to the nest.
The whole thing is now in the barn outside with a little dish of honey in the arena and because I live in the Netherlands the temperature is 5c in night and 10c max in the day.

I am doubting a bit if it was smart to put them right into hybernation after recieving. Becuase I dont know in what state they where before they were sent out by Antstore.
Also the test tube contains a couple of eggs and normally eggs should be kept warm so this also makes me doubt if it was smart to put the colony in the cold.
I have looked a couple of times at how they are doing and there is a bit movement but not much ofcourse because of the cold.

Can you all please give me some advice on this situation?

Thanks alot!
intellected

Land: Netherlands (nl)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Wintertime shipping Lasius niger

Beitragvon Martin S. » 24. Dez 2013 12:01

Hi,

here at Antstore they have been in hibernation since the end of octobre, at 5-8°C.
Eggs cannot hibernate in contrast to larvae. Therefore it might be larvae also in your case.

Regards
Martin S.
ANTSTORE
ANTSTORE

Bilder: 34
Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 71 mal
Blog: Blog anschauen (32)
Ameisen: Haltungsbericht(7)

Beitragvon intellected » 30. Dez 2013 15:42

Thanks for the reply!
It might be an idea to inform the buyer of this.

Ok first of all thanks for the replies!

I have contacted the store and they said that the ants were hibernating before shipped.
So yes, it would be wise to bring them in the right hibernation climate right after they are recieved.

The ants are now in my working room, close to the window, so its fairly the same as the outside climate.
They are doing well I must say, funny how one of the ends was out foraging the other day and dragged a fishfood flake into the test tube.
Also I have noticed that they have dragged the eggs/larvae to the center of the testtube and now they form a pile there with the fishfoodflake right beside it.

Would it be smart to drop them out of the test tube into the nesting area, now while they are still in hibernation?
Or is it better to wait for spring and let them make their own way to the nesting area?
They are now in a testube which is in the arena/basin connected by tube to the nest.
Will it not be harder to move the ants to the nesting area when they are active?

The setup of the nesting area is as following:
First 2 cm of granulate.
The rest sand/soil till 3/4 of nesting area.
With a plastic pipe on the edge of the nest.
The pipe works like a drainage and I can put water trough it.
But to put the water troough the drainage pipe I need to open the lid of the nest.

Also I have one concern.
I understand the nesting area should be moist so the ants can dig tunnels and get water from the soil.
But how can I keep it moist without opening the nesting area?
For now it should be easy because the group is small.
But what when they are with many and very active?
intellected

Beitragvon SebCremer89 » 2. Jan 2014 10:46

Hello intellected,

I am in a similar situation like you. I ordered my Ln at December 16 and got them at December 23.

I put them into the fridge to hibernate them. When time is over i will put them in my arena with the test tube they were shipped with and let them make there own way to the nesting area, because i read it´s better for the ants because of stress !

The Ln are very nest loyal so it could take some month until they will travel in the nest area.

I am no expert but these are the things i read in many forum here !

If u like u can have a look of mine Ant Formicaruim here: http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=19140

I hope i could help you !
SebCremer89

Beitragvon intellected » 2. Jan 2014 12:29

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks! I have looked at your topic, nice start!
We can keep an eye on our progress and compare.
I saw you have bought alot extra stuff and the L starter set.
I will also start a topic soon but it'll be in English. We'll keep in touch then :)

One question: How are you planning to keep your nest soil moist and wet enough?
I saw a tube entering from the right side of your nest. I myself just sticked a drainpipe in to the nest.
intellected

Beitragvon SebCremer89 » 2. Jan 2014 13:32

Hey,

thanks, i hope my ants will like it as well ^^

I also think that´s a good suggestion to keep an eye on our both progresses and to compare them, maybe wo can help us each other ;)

Yes i bought some extra stuff, because i like to build the landscape as natural as possible and i know that i can use it without sorrows buying at the antstore ! I chosed the L starter set, because i read that Ln will get very high populated colonys and with it i can have longer time without resettle my colony or add more glass cases ^^

I also try to keep my nest soil moist and wet enough with a drainage ! The tube u see, ends on the one side in the granulate with silicone cotton insede ( cotton that ants cant get out but water inside, silicone to prevent mold ) on the other side it is installed that i get inside it with my pipet to get water inside it, but no ant gets out there. So i don´t need to open the lid of the nesting area.

I hope my english is good enough for you to understand what i am saying ^^ I apologise for all the mistake i make..... #-o
SebCremer89

Beitragvon intellected » 2. Jan 2014 14:57

SebCremer89 hat geschrieben:Hey,

thanks, i hope my ants will like it as well ^^

I also think that´s a good suggestion to keep an eye on our both progresses and to compare them, maybe wo can help us each other ;)

Yes, let's do that! Looking forward to it :)
Once my habitat is completed and the ants are out of hibernation I will start a journal.

Yes i bought some extra stuff, because i like to build the landscape as natural as possible and i know that i can use it without sorrows buying at the antstore ! I chosed the L starter set, because i read that Ln will get very high populated colonys and with it i can have longer time without resettle my colony or add more glass cases ^^

I thought of that too, but what I am going to do is buying an aquarium where I am going to put the starter kit in.
With the kit in the aquarium I can build a much bigger habitat and regulate the environment better, like moist, heat etc.

I also try to keep my nest soil moist and wet enough with a drainage ! The tube u see, ends on the one side in the granulate with silicone cotton insede ( cotton that ants cant get out but water inside, silicone to prevent mold ) on the other side it is installed that i get inside it with my pipet to get water inside it, but no ant gets out there. So i don´t need to open the lid of the nesting area.

Very good idea, think I might do it the same way. Where did you use the silicone?
Also I have read that the nesting area stays moist for a long time without need to re-dampen.
Even the ants themselves carry water from the arena to the nesting area when it gets to dry for them.

I love self regulating eco-systems!

I hope my enlish is good enough for you to understand what i am saying ^^ I apologise for all the mistake i make..... #-o

No problem, you will learn quick by being active on the english forum ;)
intellected

Beitragvon SebCremer89 » 3. Jan 2014 08:53

Okay i look forward to get better ;)

It´s hard to tell ^^

I took a cap of an silicone bottle Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar (the golden one on the left side). Then i cut it until the tube fits through. After that i put everything inside the port of the nesting area. The silicon i used between the tube an the cap which fits inside the port of the nesting area.

So it´s solid an if i want to add more areas i just can take all off without to impurify the nesting area.

I will take some photos today ;)
SebCremer89

Beitragvon intellected » 3. Jan 2014 13:53

Oh I would really want to see some yes!
I am going to visit the petshop today for some new ideas.

Catch you soon!
intellected

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius