What's best for Tetramorium caespitum

Re: What's best for Tetramorium caespitum

Beitragvon amrik singh » 25. Mai 2012 22:16

I am biting my fingers : The water dish seems to be not a good system to keep the Tetramorium inside . Many workers are falling in the water , some drown most are floating on the water and many are so crossing to the other side so now I spend
at least 20 minutes a day fishing ants from the water and caching others from the table.This way I found a good system to catch ants with a wet broken stick , because it is wet ants stick on it and have just to be shaken of in the formicarium.
If somebody have a solution to my problem of Tetramorium going /falling in/on the water I will be glad to hear it.
amrik singh

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon amrik singh » 12. Aug 2012 20:00

Hi,
In June I removed the island and replaced it with a plastic bucket with a inside curved edge covered with oil . There is also a small plaster nest in it. This time everything is working perfectly, no ant can get out.
The population is now at least 30000 workers strong but there is no winged ants yet .
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 26. Aug 2012 20:37

It is amazing the quantity of food consumed by this colony : 20 dehusked sun flower seeds/day ,4 big wax worms /day ,one big fly (or spider...)or small earthworm/day ,diluted honey every two or three days (as they removed in 30 minutes ) and a piece of fruit , pie-nut or fresh hazelnut in permanence .
I give the food whole or in one large piece so the Tetramorium workers take time to cut it , so it reduce the risk of food rotting or molding in the nest .
Tetramorium really love fresh hazel-nuts and are crazy about water melon.
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 27. Aug 2012 12:42

I compared pictures of different Tetramorium workers and so I am now nearly sure that my colony belong to Tetramorium sp.e considering the size and coloration.
Today and several times before I want to observe the capability of one single worker to kill a small wax worm so to avoid that other workers intervene I placed the caterpillar in a little transparent box pierced with a small hole in a quite place of the "out-world but each time the Tetramorium workers recruit as soon as they detect the box until they form a group of about 10 at the entrance hole with one or two going inside unti one ant attack the prey then several ants attack together immediately maybe stimulate by the struggling of the wax worm.
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 31. Aug 2012 22:07

I realized now that last winter I make a mistake the way I did feed the Teramorium as the temperature was not low enough for hibernation . It was necessary to continue giving enough sugar (honey )and insects: The last stage larvae'( who transform apparently the starch into sugar) been dead or transform into pupae the ant could not assimilate it . The result was high larva mortality and the absence of winged ants who must have been many in a colony this size. So this winter I will continue to give normal food as the colony take it.
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 5. Sep 2012 14:56

I give nearly every day large wax worms to the colony of T.sp.e. so I was curious to know if a colony in natural condition hunt them successfully . A large T.caespitum colony is under the pavement in my garden so I
tried to give wax worms of different sizes .The large size was never attacked successfully and always escaped except if keep in a box pierced with a small hole for the ants .They attacked successfully wax worms small enough to be tackle by a single ant (that is smaller than the bigger and stronger T. sp.e can. ) One small w.w.that escaped was killed minutes later by a small jumping spider. Of 4 medium size w.w. 3 escaped because the T.c. could never recruit fast enough to catch them. Once they succeeded in an unexpected way : The wax worm was attacked unsuccessfully about 10 times in one hour but did not get out of the colony territory. I returned every half an hour to observe what happened. One attack by one more tenacious forager helped by an other one was looking likely to succeed. Once or twice the ants shaken-of followed the track of the prey to attack again but it escaped seriously weakened. It is only after about three hours that the T.c. succeeded to recruit , to pin down and kill the prey by group action.
As I observed in India with Tetramorium bicarinatum these ants are much to slow to recruit to be effective group hunters but are strong and tenacious fighters that recruit massively to large food source or items and to expel competitors.
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 7. Sep 2012 09:38

Yesterday I did give the colony much chicory seeds ,the ants are collecting this seeds slowly ,but all will have been taken from the dish by the end of today.
The wax-worms make a very resistant silk cocoon but once enclose the pupation is slow to take effect so I wanted to see if my Tetramorium sp.e can attack successfully the silk cocoons and feed on the larvae/pupae inside. THEY DO.
I am going to do the same experiment with T. caespitum in my garden.
Today I see most of the chicory seeds taken from the dish are abandoned ,as it seems, on on the ground of the tank near the access hose .
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 8. Sep 2012 12:37

Tetramorium caespitum of the big colony in my garden did not show any interest in chicory seeds and very little interest in the cocoon enclosed wax-worms (no attempt to pierce the silk).
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 29. Sep 2012 21:45

This summer I did not warm the ants ,they stayed at the room temperature between 22.°c minimum at night and 27°c maximum during warm days and the colony continued to grow.
Now the temperature is between slightly less than 19°c at night and 21 or 22°c during the day . Now they consume fewer sun flower seeds , only two wax worms and two fly's a day but are still eating as much apples , hazelnuts and honey as before the weather cooling.
As I said before the workers of this colony are bigger than those of the colony they destroyed earlier this year but now there are some smaller workers that , I think, are issued from the brood they took from the colony.
I have to rectify what I said before about the wax worms enclosed in cocoon : the ants succeeded to pierce two cocoons and to eat the wax worms but three others resisted ,the ants could not pierce the silk that have hardened enough.
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 9. Okt 2012 13:51

The temperature is now between 18 and 21°c and the activity and food consumption are much down but the colony population is higher than ever.
There is a remarkable difference of size between workers, unusual for a Tetramorium colony : As I give more than enough food every days I attribute the presence of much smaller workers to the brood stolen from the other colony who belong obviously to an other ,smaller, cryptic specie .
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 16. Okt 2012 09:08

The temperature variations day/night are much more in an artificial nest than in natural conditions: At a certain dept in the ground the variation is insignificant and the ants move the brood to the area with the optimal temperature (and humidity) so to have a healthy Tetramorium colony with optimal growth in summer the temperature of the room have to stay well above 20°c day and night.
It is impossible for most people to keep a mature Tetramorium colony in their fridge during winter but under 20°c constant temperature the small and medium larvae stop to grow and bigger larvae growth slow down so the activity of the colony slow down. But at 18°c or 19°c the need for sugar (fruits,sugar , honey) stay high as the consumption of fat or oily food . Some protein intake (dead insect , insect larvae ,pupae ) continue at a lower level. (Myrmica enter in hibernation when the temperature stay under 15°c but larvae growth of most sort of ants start only above 20°c)
amrik singh

Beitragvon amrik singh » 23. Mai 2013 11:51

Hello again everybody !
I did not write on the forum because I did not have much to say . My Tetramorium colony had became unmanageable , to big so I could not move it to my cool attic for winter . Also this winter many ants died without visible reason, more than the normal dead rate . So I had to get read of the colony .
Now I decided to start Tetramorium colonies myself from queens that I capture in my garden and area ,to put the colony in my attic for the cold season and when the colony overgrow their nest space , to release it .
Last spring and early summer I could not find one queen then very late in august I found two smalll queens , I put them in one tube each and nothing happened then end of September I put them in a cool place for hibernation . In April I put the tubes in a warm room and now I have a small colony with 4 or 5 workers The other one seems also on the way to success .
Last week I put the tube in a acrylic small tank (From Antstore) with a self made vertical plaster nest connected to a other acrylic tank serving as dry foraging area , both fixed on a strong glass window.
amrik singh

Vorherige

Zurück zu Tetramorium