Beginner who is eager to start

Help to the newbie

Beginner who is eager to start

Beitragvon Koeny » 23. Dez 2012 18:42

I am a beginner and have decided to keep a colony of Pheidole pallidula in this nest (http://www.antstore.net/shop/antfarms---nests/acrylglas-formicaria/acrylglass-formicariums-antfarm/Acryl-Labyrinth-City---8mm.html) in a heated living room with temperatures of between 18°C (winter nights) and 28°C (hot summer days) and humidity of between 40 and 60% all year round. Am I correct that these ants are well able to survive and thrive in these conditions? I'm planning to keep them hydrated with water gel (http://www.antstore.net/shop/climate-technology/irrigation---moisturisation/water-gel/water-gel-500ml---Aqua-Crystal-Gel.html) and fed with sugar honey fluid (http://www.antstore.net/shop/food---Feeding-dish/Honey---sugar/sugar-honey-fluid-100ml.html) and a food mix set (shop/food---Feeding-dish/food-kits/ANTSTORE-Food-Mix-Set.html). Is my initial planning well thought out or am I forgetting things?

Questions on Pheidole pallidula:
- Are they easy to keep?
- Can they live in acrylic nests?
- How much do they eat?
- Do they require extra moisturisation in moderately humid conditions?
- Do I have to use tape as extra escape proofing?
- Can I "suggest" them to discard their waste in an easily accesible place?

Also, would PTFE work on acrylic?

My buying list:
- Acryl Labyrinth City - 8mm
- Pheidole pallidula Queen + 11 - 25 workers
- Water gel
- Sugar honey fluid 100 ml
- Food mix set
- Feeding dish with sponge
- PTFE (if it works on acrylic) or parrafin oil
- Silicone plug

Suggestions and thoughts are very welcome.

Thank you!
Koeny

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Beginner who is eager to start

Beitragvon sapsey2001 » 8. Apr 2013 14:58

Good afternoon,

I really hope you can help me please.
I am a beginner and very keen to start keeping an ants nest. I have been reading a number of forums and websites and decided to keep the common Black Garden Ant (Lasius niger) which is very common in England.

I have looking at the AntStore website and was thinking of buying the starter kit L with the ant farm and foraging tank. Is this to big? I don't want to have to move and disturb the colony so thought if I went Large got plenty of room to grow. I also like the idea of the ant farm so I can see the nest and tunnels. Is everything provided in the starter kit all I need for Lasius niger? if I need anything else can you please let me know!

I only have one real concern about starting up a nest and its the winged ants (virgin queens etc). I will be keeping the nest in my house and wishing to keep the nest for as long as possible. How do you get around the winged ants? is there a way? I don't want to come home from work one day and find my house full of flying ants :D .

Sorry about the mountain of questions and really do hope you will take the time to reply.

PS can you ship Lasius niger to the UK without UK Customs getting funny?

Thank you.
Richard.
sapsey2001

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Beginner who is eager to start

Beitragvon Martin S. » 10. Apr 2013 09:14

Hello,

yes, the Starter Kit L is too large for Lasius niger.
For Lasius niger take antfarms with size S - M
Sizes XS, S, M, L, XL are the thickness of the Formicariums, or the passage diameter.
It does not matter whether you use a few 30x20 ant farms or many small 20x10 ant farms.

If the Formicarium is closed, no winged ants fly out.

Yes, we ship to UK.

Greetings
Martin S.
ANTSTORE
ANTSTORE

Bilder: 34
Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 71 mal
Blog: Blog anschauen (32)
Ameisen: Haltungsbericht(7)

Zurück zu Questions for beginners