Lasius fuliginosus?

Lasius fuliginosus?

Beitragvon Lewis » 18. Aug 2012 10:22

Yesterday I was walking in the garden and spotted a queen, at first I thought it was only a Lasius niger, but when I got it in a test tube to have a closer look I noticed Its head was much larger than a L.niger queen with a smaller gaster. I did some research and identified it as Lasius fuliginosus. Then found that it adopts other Lasius workers to found, and that they build large carton nests similar to termites made out of wood and saliva. So what should I do?
Lewis

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Lasius fuliginosus

Re: Lasius fuliginosus?

Beitragvon Lewis » 19. Aug 2012 21:50

I just found another queen and looked on antstore and found that these ants are polygynous, just tried to put them together after being in the fridge for a bit and they are the most aggressive ants I have kept! they started fighting and I had to split them. I also tried put a Lasius niger worker in and it got decapitated, Then I put some Lasius niger brood in and they accepted them! Some feed back would be appreciated. :)
Lewis

Beitragvon AntsInSL » 21. Aug 2012 21:28

Hey Lewis,

are you sure these queens are Dendrolasius fuliginosus or would Chthonolasius umbratus also be possible?
This would explain why they started fighting, I've never seen that with Lasius fuliginosus!

Regards, AntsInSL
AntsInSL

Beitragvon Lewis » 21. Aug 2012 22:34

They do look a lot like Chthonolasius umbratus after a google search, but what does the Chthono mean? and do you know how to keep them?

Thanks for the response!
Lewis

Werbeanzeige: Lasius fuliginosus

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius