Water requirements?

Water requirements?

Beitragvon chrisb » 25. Jun 2012 15:26

Hi,

I'm planning my ytong nest for my new Messor barbarus. I understand that they like a dry nest, but does this mean a completely dry nest or should I build in some way of getting the nest damp in certain areas?

Thanks
Chris
chrisb

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: water gel 500ml - Aqua Crystal Gel

Re: Water requirements?

Beitragvon Andie » 26. Jun 2012 19:00

I was advised to keep the nest dry although ive read that some people do ad some moisture to their nests. I am keeping mine dry but you will still see a build up of moisture on the glass of the chambers, moreso from the ants respiration i would think. Saying that though they do consume alot of water so they maybe taking this back to the nest. Not wetting the nest has worked for me anyway. Another thing worth considering is the ammount of ants in the chamber, if there isnt many then perhaps it could become to dry for them, or at least for the brood.

Have a read of this, its in german but use google translate or something.
Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon bugsy » 26. Jun 2012 19:30

I have to agree with Andie in that the bigger the colony, the easier it is for them to regulate the conditions they need. With a small colony and going from my own experiences I would suggest that it is more difficult for them to do this, especially if your chambers are large. Y-tong will soak up any moisture. I would keep a colony in a test tube until it has a few hundred workers then give them the option to move. My Messor are exotic and really struggled in a y-tong with about 20 workers, the queen didn't lay and the brood didn't change for about 3 months. I put a test tube in the basin, over night they moved and the queen started laying again. Simple, give them the options and they will decide, they know best. Although I haven't actually answered your question I hope it helped.
bugsy

Beitragvon chrisb » 27. Jun 2012 13:35

Thanks guys. I have lots of time to plan the ytong design as my 1 queen only has 1 little egg at the moment in a test tube set up!

When should I open the test tube to allow her some freedom, is this only when she has a few workers? or should I offer her on her own some food?

Thank you
Chris
chrisb

Beitragvon Andie » 27. Jun 2012 17:55

My queens were locked in until there were about 6 workers. Messor barbarus queens are claustral which means they will rear their brood from their own body reserves without the need to forage. There is no need to feed the queen as she wil refuse food anyway.
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon chrisb » 28. Jun 2012 08:32

Splendid, learning all the time. I shall leave her well alone then and see what happens over time :

Thanks again
Chris
chrisb

Werbeanzeige: water gel 500ml - Aqua Crystal Gel

Zurück zu Messor