Heat Mat Advice

Here you can everything questions or discuss about ants.

Heat Mat Advice

Beitragvon chrisb » 23. Jun 2012 14:10

Hello all,

I'm new to this world and am looking for a bit of advice about heat mats. I need a mat that will heat my set up to about 26c+ for messor barbarus.

I'm looking at something small like a Habistat Heat Mat 5x4 inch 4W with a thermstat, will this be enough to get the correct temps?

Thank you for any advice.
Chris
chrisb

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Heat pack - alu bag - 36h

Re: Heat Mat Advice

Beitragvon Andie » 23. Jun 2012 18:35

Hi Chris, what are you keeping the test tube in ?

I kept mine in a small card board box in semi dark, with the tube laying on a piece of polystyrene with a groove scoured out so the tube would rest without rolling about. The box was sat on some bubble rap and a piece of plywood with a 20w heat mat underneath it all. To control the temps all i did was to raise the box away from the heat mat to regulate it. I'm not sure if a 4w mat would be man enough but it depends on the ambient temp of your room and how big the area is your trying to heat

Bild
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon chrisb » 23. Jun 2012 19:42

Hi Andie,

I'm keeping messor barbarus in the test tube. I've actually pretty much copied your set up with the polystyrene with a groove etc.

I want to get a heat mat to help bring the temp up. Current room temps are around 19-20c so need some help pushing it a bit higher. Maybe I will go with a more "manly" wattage. does your 20w get temps up to 26+ ok?

Thank you again
Chris
"currently 1 queen 0 brood"
chrisb

Beitragvon Andie » 23. Jun 2012 20:03

You only want to heat the bottom of the box and with the temps you already have, that should be easily done with a 20w, probably a 10w too. If you start with a higher wattage to start with its just easier to keep the temps lower by adjusting the distance, or with a stat. I wouldnt like to say for sure with anything smaller as my house is freezing :(
Please use a stat though, i know 2 people who have had fires from not using them.
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon chrisb » 25. Jun 2012 08:52

Thanks again, yea I plan on getting a stat to control the heatmat so fingers crossed no firers!
chrisb

Werbeanzeige: Heat pack - alu bag - 36h

Zurück zu Discussion general