Nest for semiclaustral foundation / v.s colony?

If you have ideas or suggestions, or simply something with ANTSTORE to miss, you are here exactly correct. Divide us with which you on the heart lie.

Nest for semiclaustral foundation / v.s colony?

Beitragvon amrik singh » 2. Jan 2012 19:07

hello,
A new product that will be most useful to develop colonies from semiclaustral ant queens like Myrmica (or for queens with first workers or to observe stay-small colony like Leptothorax) will be a very small ,low cost, plaster nests just big enough for one queen and between 50 and 200 workers (depending on the size of the ants) and fitting in a low cost mini bassin . So those who want to start new colony from single queens purchase from the store or that they collect themselves may try with 3 or 4 queens at the same time to have more chance of success .

I know ANTSTORE have very nice mini acrylic nest-arena but :
1) The light goes in by every sides.
2) Even covered the ants seems no to like it at all.
3) I doubt that the humidity level will be enough for ants like Myrmica rubra.
4)I would like to know of successful, flourishing colony developing in this sort of nest.
Is it possible to let me know of successful colony DEVELOPING (not only surviving) in such acrylic nests?
amrik singh

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Versandschachtel 220x140x30mm für Neströhrchen

Re: Nest for semiclaustral foundation / v.s colony?

Beitragvon AntsNational » 2. Jan 2012 19:32

I just use a test tube for starting Myrmica colonies where one portion is dark and the other half isn't. Just get a cork sheet, cut it into a circle to fit into the test tube, and make a small hole at the side of the circle so the ants can travel in and out. This works fine for me.
Cheers
Dateianhänge
DSC_0022refined.jpg
AntsNational

Land: Canada (ca)
Danke bekommen: 5 mal

Beitragvon amrik singh » 4. Jan 2012 00:00

That's a good idea, (and a nice picture) . Personally , a number of years ago I did made 3 very small plaster nests in small plastic boxes pierced and placed in a bit bigger plastic dishes serving as arena . Out of the three Myrmica queens two where successful .
I did try again unsuccessfully with one queen about two years ago in a test tube close with sand-clay mix with a hole just big enough for the Myrmica queen and placed in a plastic box .
Next summer I will try again if I can find Myrmica queen(s).
amrik singh

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon AntsNational » 4. Jan 2012 19:50

I wish you the best of luck! This system is simple and effective, because queens do not need to travel far to find and obtain food to feed their young. Once they get to about 5-10 workers, you can switch to a slightly bigger set up.

Cheers,
Vas
AntsNational

Land: Canada (ca)
Danke bekommen: 5 mal

Werbeanzeige: Versandschachtel 220x140x30mm für Neströhrchen

Zurück zu Feedback, Improvement suggestions, desire list