Annoying problem with Pheidole pallidula...

Annoying problem with Pheidole pallidula...

Beitragvon Seph0n » 14. Okt 2011 17:10

I have a gypsum nest connected to a half filled basin.
Initially the colony moved into the pre-carved nest right after i opened their test-tube inside the basin, and everything was fine. Suddenly, within an hour they've moved into the soil under a stone, inside the basin area.

How do I make them move back? Or should I just accept that they'd rather nest in the sand-load mix, rather than the nest? How do I make the nest more favorable a residence? As of right now, I'm currently unable to view my ants... I'm thinking about just lifting the stone and let all hell break loose, then they only have one option left.

To clarify. Moisture level in both the basin and gypsum nest is the same. Right now I'm attempting to heat the nest a little with a lamp, to make it more attractive. The nest is now 25 degrees Celsius and the rest of the basin is 21. Also, the gypsum nest is covered with red film to prevent direct sunlight.

Please, if anybody can share some advise, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks!
Seph0n
Seph0n

Land: Denmark (dk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Annoying problem with Pheidole Pallidula...

Beitragvon MrIglo » 14. Okt 2011 18:22

It is hardly possible to make them go back to the gybsum nest. Soil is more attractive than gypsum.
Red foil is not as dark as soil.

Most ant owners fill something in the arena like gypsum to make it impossible for the ants to dig a nest there. Soil is not adequate especially if the soil is deeper than a few millimetre and moist.

Maybe you could connect a new nest to the arena (using a short fllexible tube) and slowly drying-out the actual nest and soil. But careful. Pheidole need a moist nest!!!

Greetings.
MrIglo

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Zurück zu Pheidole