2 foot Ytong Tank Project - Picture Heavy

2 foot Ytong Tank Project - Picture Heavy

Beitragvon Chalky723 » 28. Jun 2011 22:01

Hi All,

I've been dabbling for a little while with ants, I've used Ytong (or Celcon) to make nests in the past. I recently picked up an acrylic formicarium from Antstore when over a month ago & that's set up with a young colony in my bedroom *much to the wife's delight!), but I fancied something a bit larger too!

I recently sold my fish and had a couple of tanks laying around and, inspired by a colony on YouTube (Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar) I decided to have a go at making a larger one using a 60cm tank and a couple of blocks.

First I drew the caves on the block and then drilled with a 10mm masonry bit (note the depth stop) -

Bild

Next Stage was to (carefully) chisel the caves out properly and then add the joining tunnels -

Bild

I drilled 3 large holes on the top at the top left to a depth of about 2/3 of the block - I joined them together to make 1 big hole, this will be for moisturising (didn't take a picture of that bit I'm afraid).

I then made a floor to go above the block, I put a hole for a pipe to go into the watering hole, and a hole for an entrance pipe. I used a large piece of Polystyrene on the opposite side to the blocks to rest the floor on. I put silicone sealant round the edges of the blocks and laid them face down on the front glass of the tank, then stuck the floor on top making sure I put silicone round the top of the water hole to stop it escaping when filling via the pipe -

Bild

And a side view....

Bild

Once the silicone had set dry (a few hours) I covered the floor in a thick layer of PVA glue and sprinkled it with fine sand. I left this to dry, there is loose sand there too, but it's too dry for the little angels to dig in.

Bild

It's out in the garage now & it already has some occupants (only 4 plus Queen, but they've got eggs already). I filled the water tube with fine gravel - this prevents the ants from getting in the water and drowning, but I can pour water in there and it'll go to the bottom, soaking through the blocks - you can see some condensation on the left hand caves, this should give me a gradient from left to right and they can live where is comfortable for them.

Bild

The lid has large holes for my hands to get in and Teflon to stop the ants getting out. Once they've settled I'll put some more scenery in for them - I want them to set up house in the caves, not under anything else I put in!!

Bild

The tank is lit by an 8w fluorescent tube for daylight and some blue LEDs for night time. The light is directly above the tank, so the front is in near darkness all the time.

Hope this was interesting (I enjoyed it!!) - I shall keep you updated as to how they're doing.

Cheers,

Chalky
Chalky723

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: flexible tube transparent 20/16 mm

Re: 2 foot Ytong Tank Project - Picture Heavy

Beitragvon ProXi » 1. Aug 2011 01:00

Awesome, I have watched your video of your big Lasius niger colony many many times.
I have also asked how you have made it.
But now I understand it :p

My colony is getting very big too so have to make a smaller set-up like this.
And now you can observe them very well too.
ProXi

Land: Netherlands (nl)

Beitragvon Andie » 1. Aug 2011 07:15

Love it, and i'll be watching with interest as it grows. =D>
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon bugsy » 1. Aug 2011 10:40

Hi this is the same design I have used to keep my Nigriceps in and it works great, however be mindful that a small colony in that size y-tong will use the spare chambers as dumbing grounds. This could lead to mites, saying that I still used it for my colony and fortunately they dump in the basin. Good Luck.
bugsy

Werbeanzeige: flexible tube transparent 20/16 mm

Zurück zu Building a farm