My Lasius niger colony won't move out from the test tube!

My Lasius niger colony won't move out from the test tube!

Beitragvon Bjarke Mogensen » 17. Mai 2011 23:30

Hello guys.
I woke up my colony from hibernation in February. Since then they have been in the test tube inside the basin. They are doin fine and the queen are laying eggs. But they have now been inside the test tube for three months! Is the conditions to good for them? Should i make it more uncomfortable to them and how?
My plan was to wait until the colony had grown too big and was pressed to move because of lack of space. But it seem like it will take a long time.
Sorry about my bad english.
Bjarke Mogensen

Land: Denmark (dk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Acromyrmex cf. octospinosus

Re: My Lasius niger colony won't move out from the test tube!

Beitragvon El Nafti » 18. Mai 2011 08:55

Hello Bjarke,

though I am everything but an expert on ants, I've read about similar problems in other parts of the forum or somewhere else.
It's possible that you woke up the colony too early. Other users reported problems with "inactive" Lasius niger after not letting them hibernate at all or waking them early. February seems kind of early too me.
Anyway, as long as the queen is ok and as long as there are eggs that are taken care of you shouldn't worry too much. Normally they leave their nest once it's not appropriate for them or not comfortable anymore. Users report up to 200 lasius niger in a test tube. I'd suggest to offer them food and if they need it they will come out and get some. You can try to put some honey, honey-water, sugar-water in the entrance section of the test tube. Small colonies tend to be afraid of leaving the safe nest.

Keep in mind that I'm not an experienced member, so if anybody else gives you different advice....

Good luck!

El Nafti

PS: Temperature, size of the colony, age of the colony might be helpful for other users.
El Nafti

Land: Wallis and Futuna (wf)

Beitragvon Bjarke Mogensen » 18. Mai 2011 22:36

Hey El Nafti
Thanks for your answer. Your information and help told me that this isn't unusual.
I just have to be patient and give them the time it takes for them to develope.
Bjarke Mogensen

Land: Denmark (dk)

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 20. Mai 2011 08:42

Spot on... Dont rush them... Lasius do like to take time to move.. and will grow a large colony in the test tube... Also if the colony is small you wont notice them eating any food you put down as they will most likely only come and get it at night... Dont put anything inside the test tube.. put it in the outworld for them to come and find.. and change any food you put down every other day!!
SteveUK28

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Werbeanzeige: Acromyrmex cf. octospinosus

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius