Camponotus longevity?

Camponotus longevity?

Beitragvon Mads » 12. Mai 2011 02:54

Just curious if anyone knows what the average life expectancy for Camponotus queens? Also, how large can the colonies get? Thanks.

Mads
Mads

Land: Canada (ca)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Camponotus barbaricus

Re: Camponotus longevity?

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 12. Mai 2011 09:26

Most queens will live for 7+years.. colonies depending on spec.. anything from a few hundred to several thousand.
SteveUK28

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon Mads » 12. Mai 2011 19:44

Thanks. Wasn't sure if they were a short lived species or not. I guess this colony I have here will be around to enjoy for a few years then. Haven't figured out the exact species, hope to get a few good pictures and perhaps someone can properly identify them for me. They were collected in the Okanagan area of British Columbia.

Mads
Mads

Beitragvon Mads » 14. Mai 2011 06:06

From what I've been able to figure out, using locality and looking at descriptions of the Camponatus found in this area, I've figured out that they are C. herculeanus. It seems like a fair sized colony, with at least 400+ workers and 500+ eggs and larvae. I found them living inside a large piece of styrofoam that was used as filler inside a large flower pot. I'm hoping they will move out of the styrofoam soon, as it isn't very decorative! Many of the workers and a large portion of the eggs/larvae have been moved into the nest I provided. No sign of the queen yet (I assume she is still in the styrofoam), but lots of new eggs keep appearing, so she must be there, somewhere.

Mads
Mads

Werbeanzeige: Camponotus barbaricus

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Camponotus