new colony

new colony

Beitragvon odesssus » 10. Jul 2010 02:28

hi iv'e just orded a colony of pheidole palidula has any one got any tips on them. i have read up on them but theres nothing like talking to some body whos got some. thanks
odesssus

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: new colony

Beitragvon baumarkthammer » 10. Jul 2010 02:44

Just very small ants, one single worker doesn´t live very long.
They need small insects when the colony is small but later on they eat everything.
Like it pretty moist. Can raise brood very quick compared to many Lasius species and much quicker than Camponotus. Got like one soldire on ten or more normal minor workers.
Need very much insect food later because they can lay very many eggs very fast; the nests at the end are really big and nearly comperable to the nests of Solenopsis but Pheidole are very slower in laying eggs and the brood needs much longer to raise than the one of Solenopsis.
Pheidole like hot nests since they live in the south of europe. Also Pheidole are good escapers and like to walk out of the basin.
baumarkthammer
Ehrenmitglied
Ehrenmitglied

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 112 mal

Beitragvon odesssus » 10. Jul 2010 06:11

baumarkthammer you have answred my quiestion once more thanks.if i can not find small insects can i cut up meal worm?. also i did what you told me to do regarding my comp herculeanus i tryed to fed a meal worm but they did not seem interested in it and just let it go away and hide. so i cut it in to 3 bits and put it back in and some of them did eat a littel. may be they are not hungrery after all the eggs from yesterday?.
odesssus

Beitragvon baumarkthammer » 10. Jul 2010 12:47

Ants have a maximum they eat. When your Camponotus didn´t have much proteines over month then they just don´t have eggs and larvae and just can feed the queen a little with the proteines and wait until they have brood. When they have brood they will eat more.
Btw you always should cut the meal worms since ants can´t cut them very well because they are round and hard.
Mealworms are as good as any other insect. Your Camponotus will always eat more liquids than proteines because they just need more or them, Pheidole need more proteines than liquids because they grow very fast.
baumarkthammer
Ehrenmitglied
Ehrenmitglied

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 112 mal

Beitragvon odesssus » 10. Jul 2010 19:32

i thank you as do my ants.
odesssus

Zurück zu Carebara - Pheidologeton