Casting in concrete

Casting in concrete

Beitragvon nidbild » 30. Aug 2009 12:14

Hey guys. I am currently in the planning stage for my first formicarium. Because I have not seen any discussions here about the method I consider using, I am going to ask you guys if it sounds reasonable - so that I do not make a fatal error of some kind.

What I am going to do, is to firstly form a system of plastic clay chambers and paths on the inside of a basin, and then pour in concrete. When it has hardened, I simply take out the concrete block and remove the clay. Thus, chambers are formed. The casting goes back in the tank. This way, I can have a basin with a panoramic view from three directions (leaving a hole in the casting on the backside for heat pads and other technology.

First, I thought about casting the formicarium in gypsum, but after some reading I discovered that gypsum has a mould problem in moist environments, and I therefore abandoned the idea. I also thought about Ytong, but ytong comes in blocks, and it won't quite give me that snug fit against the glass which I am aiming at. Only casting can in my experience achive that.

My conclusion is that a oridinary casting in concrete is the best way to go. Do anyone here have experience that says elsewise, or any tips on the way?
nidbild

Land: Sweden (se)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Casting in concrete

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 30. Aug 2009 14:47

Hello Nidbild and welcome.

Its a very nice idea, don't think anyone tried that before.
I think it will work. Sure do post pictures of how you make it and let us know your experience with it.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon nidbild » 30. Aug 2009 19:09

Thank you, and yes, I will document the project as it proceeds, hopefully I will get my hands on a camera too. I expect my goods to arrive here in the beginning of next week, together with a myrmecocystus mimicus queen who with a little luck will inhabit the nest when it is completed.
nidbild

Beitragvon matt-man123 » 30. Aug 2009 21:22

I too would like to see the outcome of your nest and will be eager to see the development of both your nest and your colony (be sure to do a diary on that aswell :wink: )

:sign_welcome:

matt :)
matt-man123

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 31. Aug 2009 09:57

I think it sounds like a great idea, but i would make sure that the chemicals in the concrete would not harm the ants first. :)
SteveUK28

Beitragvon nidbild » 31. Aug 2009 11:24

Name of the concrete is Maxit rep 920. Says it is "polymer treated" on the package. Don't know how dangerous that is. Tried to check up the ingredients, but with little success. Might catch a few lasius niger workers and put them in the tank for a few days to see if it seems toxic.
nidbild

Beitragvon nidbild » 31. Aug 2009 11:33

matt-man123 hat geschrieben:I too would like to see the outcome of your nest and will be eager to see the development of both your nest and your colony (be sure to do a diary on that aswell :wink: )

:sign_welcome:

matt :)

Of course I will keep a diary here. I'll pick up the queen at the post office today. She has arrived at last.

Bad part is, though, that my formicarium from antstore has not arrived yet, so I will have to solve temperature and moisture and everything else in some DIY way for a few days.
nidbild

Beitragvon matt-man123 » 31. Aug 2009 12:05

It wont matter though as they can stay in the test tube for a while :)

how many did you get?

queen +....... how many workers :)

matt
matt-man123

Beitragvon nidbild » 1. Sep 2009 11:07

Queen + Brood. Went to fetch the package yesterday, but my ants sadly seem to have been lost by either the transport company (Schenker) or my local post office. The employees at the office said they would check with the transport company, so hopefully all is well, and I get my queen today.

If all else fails I have my Dead on Arrival guarantee at antsectopia. problem is, I bought the last myrmecocystus mimicus queen, so possibly I will end up with another species if the original queen is DoA. :/
nidbild

Beitragvon jartok » 1. Sep 2009 11:10

i knew you bought off there i was gonna order it but didnt have money in paypal- so i bought a barbaricus instead which should be here today
jartok

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 2. Sep 2009 19:09

Hope your queen arives very soon and healthy.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon nidbild » 7. Sep 2009 17:46

She arrived today, healthy and well! :D Now I am just waiting for my shipment from antstore. The delivery company lost it somewhere. The delivery people told me that if I don't get it in a few more days I should contact the antstore crew.
nidbild

Beitragvon aka ant » 1. Mai 2010 18:55

My first ant farm was built out of concrete. I dug out the tunnels and rooms with a spoon before it dried. My Camponotus ants didn't seem to like it and it weight about 60+ lb.
aka ant

Land: United States (us)

Zurück zu Building a farm