ant kid's Lasius niger diary

ant kid's Lasius niger diary

Beitragvon ant kid » 30. Jan 2010 14:49

Hello,

I am making this diary so I can show people how they progress and Im going to try to keep this diary updated until the queen dies, so if all succesful this diary could come useful in the next 15 years or so. :) So here I go: This all started in 2010!
Also you can comment here if you want :)

25 th of december:

I got an antworld for xmas and joined this forum, most people didnt recommend this setup so what I did was connect another antworld to a basin which I added half sand with earth, put a big stone some foliage and a palm tree ( plastic ). So basically what my setup consist of is 2 antworlds and a mdeium basin. I looked on the information sheet that came and it said that I could order 50 worker ants ( lasius niger ) but without queen so I said to myself why am I going to have some ants which will have no meaning to live. So bought a starter colony ( Lasius niger) of edu sci for 9.99 it said queen+ brood + 4-15 workers, so When I ordered it said I had to wait till 4th of january to be shipped :( :x but I guess it was for the best.

4th of January:

I looked and it said your item has been shipped! Wohoooo!!!

5th of January:

They arrived safely and well packaged. When I saw the test tube I was very excited as there were about 20 workers queen and lots of brood.So I read that they can be very slow movers, so I just put the test tube in the basin and waited and waited......

9th of january:

I went to check them and no one was in the test tube so I got it out and investigated, I looked under the big stone and there they were going in a tunnel they had made! I was surprised but a bit dissapointed as I want them to go to the ant world so I could observe them, oh well. At night I got my flashlight to check, there were 2 workers carrying a tiny bit of protein ant jelly to their nest. I got the stone again and they werent there and I looked carefully and in front of my eyes I saw 3 holes which led to tunnels!!! After the excitment I went back to bed.

15th of January:

I saw the first worker in ant world carrying a grain of sand!!!! But afterwards he decided to go to the basin #-o
I put a secret recipe thanks to a member on another forum, and all the workers were on it eating it!!!

24th of January:

2 workers hatched as in the side of the basin there is a little chamber were the queen is and 2 workers hatched!!! Woot!

28th of January:

My ant colony is now : 24 workers, lots and lots of eggs!!!! and around 5 big larvae, 2 tiny larvae and 2 cocoons.

30th of January:

Put in a half alive fly and they all dragged it under the stone!!!! It was amazing to watch!!!

Ill keep continuing on updating this diary. If you have any suggestion on what I could do better please post it :)

Thanks,

ant kid
ant kid

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: ant escape protection lacquer 10ml

Re: ant kid's Lasius niger diary

Beitragvon ant kid » 6. Feb 2010 10:16

6th of Feb: They all are moving into the antworlds, is fascinating to see all of them carrying their brood and going under the tunnels. Also I have noticed that some are a bit bigger and I have more workers because I when saw them carrying brood I counted around 26 workers! And lots of larvae and pile of eggs! I am really happy with this colony! :D

edited: sorry for posting i forgot about the edit button :? :oops:
ant kid

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: ant escape protection lacquer 10ml

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius