Pheidologeton diversus

Pheidologeton diversus

Beitragvon adam james » 26. Feb 2006 14:50

Here i am going to write about my small Pheidologeton diversus colony that i recieved from ant store on sat.
go to discussion thread
viewtopic.php?t=3397

Pheidologeton diversus

egg to larva= 13-14 days

sat/25/02/06

I recieved my ants this morning and opened the box hoping they are still alive after the journey. There in the test tube was one queen and about 24-25 workers one of which is a small soldier.(all moving so seem fine)The queen is massive compared to her workers. I put them in a clear ferra rosha box with moist sand in the bottom from this comes a clear tube to a small round box where im putting the food.All the colony have been moving about alot due to being warmed up now.(temp 25-30c)Put food in but they arnt interested at the moment.eg(cut maggots flys and sugar water).

sun/26/02/06

The ants are fine and lively they have moved the larva into the tube to the foraging place.So i cut some pieces of tubing about 1 cm long and put 3 in the bottom on the sand the workers have now moved the larva into these.The queen seems happy and now and then moves around with her workers on her back.

mon/27/02/06

The ants seem fine today a lot of nest building has gone on and there has been the death of 3 workers they have deposited them in the foraging area. I hope the larva soon pupate and the queen to start laying because only got about 17 workers some are missing but carnt see them must be hiding.They still havent shown an intereest in food but bought some crickets so i will cut one for them.

tues/28/02/06

:cry: Sad news some more workers have died and this leaves about 7-10 i think the stress of transport has shortened the workers life span. Its interesting to note its only the mini workers. The next size up and the small soldier are still cleaning larva and grooming queen and seem fine.They still wont eat but some larva have gone so i think they have eaten them. :o On the plus side ive got about 300 workers coming soon so it might be there salvation. and this colony has some hope yet. :)

thurs/02/03/06

:) So far no more workers have died and the rest of the larva are still nice and shiny so there being cared for.The queen seems fine but still hasnt started egg production.Im getting nervous my reinforcement workers should arrive tomorrow but we have had cold snaps and snow so i hope there all right :( .The workers are still not taking food. I even had some invert sugar from ant store and they didnt touch this.My camponotus herculeanus queen on the other hand soon smelt the drop i had put in and came wizzing out and filled her gaster full. :D

sat/04/03/06

My new workers arrived today but :( the cold weather and due to the unexpected long delevery out of 350 only 11 survied these incluid 9 small workers and two small soldiers.On adding them they imeditally found the queen and started to climbe on her and clean her i hope they will be alright for awhile. :)

mon/06/03/06

My colony seem fine. I have noticed the queen seems to like sitting with her abdomen tucked under her body and she sits like this for most of the time. I have found out where my workers have been going there is a tiny hole in the tub and the workers have been squeezing through and running off.I am now down to 2 workers and a small soilder who all seem fine. the soilder gorged himself on sugar water and started feeding the other workers who then feed the queen so i hope so far all is well. :D

mon/13/03/06

Sadly the queen died i dont understand why as evrything started to go fine.mr.k. kindly replaced her with anouther small colony which has arrived today :D in it is one very lively queen about 20-30 workers and 2 larva plus a small bunch of eggs.I am keeping them in moist soil this time as i found out the hard way that moist sand isnt that good for them.

tues/14/03/06

:D I think the queen is laying there is a second bunch of eggs which wasnt there before.The workers are fine and have been foraging i saw some behavior which i think fascanating i put a drop of invert sugar in the foraging area one of the workers found it had a quik drink then dashed back to the nest within minutes a line of workers came out they then drank and as if one said "lets go" they all went back in a line . :grin:
There has also been no loss of workers so im very pleased.

wen/15/03/06

All seems fine no workers have died the 2 larva have grown i think tere in the last instar stage and eggs are still there.The queen seems fine and worried me last night. I was whatchin the workers come in and out the nest when one came out with the bunch of eggs. Then the queen came out :shock: followed by all the workers who two were carrying the larva they got to the foraging area then turned around and all went back in. :)

thurs/16/03/06

Its been exciting today my new workers came today :D and they have survived the shipping.I put the two test tubes in the foraging area and i whatched them for a while they didnt wont to come out. Then one of my workers came to investigate and went in :shock: about a minute later the worker came out but wasnt alone. Following her were nearly all the workers they followed her all the way to the nest and went in.It was amazing to watch they moved like the army ants ive seen on tv so excitting.As for the queen she is now barly visable due to loads of workers now on her. :D :grin: :)

fri/17/03/06

:D :) Good news i put a fly in the foraging area and i witnessed a feeding freenzy all the workers climbed on the fly and started biting it. The soldiers were pulling the legs of and carrying them back to the nest and eventually they dragged the whole fly into the nest so im glad there feeding. I can see the fly and theres workers still on it so i think they are still eating it. :)

(update)I witnessed the queen approch one of the flys and she grabed it when i looked after she had a piece in her mandibals and it looked like she was chewing it so i hope this means she is refuelling to lay more eggs. I dont know weather the larva have been eaten as i carnt see them but the bunch of eggs is still visable and the workers like to store them on the queen.

sun/19/03/06

The colony is getting hungry they have took anouther 3 flys into the nest today also im glad to say the queen is started laying i saw her lay an egg then anouther until she had about 5-9 eggs then a worker picked them up and carryed them to the rest. :D :grin:

wen/22/03/06

The colony still has no larva but the queen must be laying as the bunch of eggs keeps growing and growing :) .The queen has moved around alot lately and the workers and soilders have been foraging quit a lot :D

thurs/23/03/06

The colony are acting strange i was watching telly when i notiched something moving down the tube to the foraging area when i looked it was the queen :shock: .I left the test tube the workers came in in the food area and the queen has moved into it.Its got water in then cotton wool then theres some dirt on the cotton wool.Even though the test tube is in the light the colony have moved in :?: Ive put some red plastic sheeting over and they seem to like it there the workers have been taking dirt in and out and they have been eating plenty of flys. :D.The eggs are still in a bunch and it dont look like any have hatched so ill keep an eye on them.I have noticed that a few workers are now holding bunches of what looks like eggs and not putting them with the large pile of eggs so maybe there newly hatched larva. :)

sat/25/03/06

:D Great news i can see some new larva there so small.I have also witnessed the queen laying so im glad shes still doing so.I hope that the larva are going to grow quick.I put some lasius niger pupae from my colony into the foraging area to see what happened the workers found them and took them back to the nest.Later i saw the workers dumping the empty cases so i looked into the nest.There in a pile are the lasius niger pupae but there not in the cocoons and the workers are cleaning them also there are a few yellow ones and i can see one starting to move so hopfully they might be usefull slaves as they are longer lived have diverse appetites and have a bigger gaster capicity. :) If not then they will make a good meal for the queen.

thurs/30/03/06

The lasius niger pupae were eaten and i saw the queen eating one so either way they came in handy :) there is one left but she is alive and seems to be helping with the queen and larva as she hasnt come out the nest. The queen has been laying quite alot lately as the egg pile is growing.The workers have started to die the past 5 days due to i think that they have reached old age :( i hope the larva pupate soon as i could do with the reinforcments there are about 100-150 workers with at least 2-4 dieing evryday. :cry:

sat/1/04/06

More workers have died 4 today so far :( .The live worers were given a knat as they wont touch the flys or crickets any more i think its due to the now small numbers of workers.The second large bunch of eggs has now hatched as it is a mass of riggling larva i say theres about 90-120 there.They took the knat into the nest and today theres no sign of it so it has been all consumed.The larva are growing and the queen still seems fine so they hanging on i will be so glad when they pupate and hatch. :)

mon/03/04/06

Some more workers have died but none today im glad to say. There are about 40-50 workers and 2 small soilders.The queen seems fine and the larva are growing fast there are two which are now the size of the small workers so they should pupate eney day now hopfully.I have put in some tiny fruit flys as there are to few workers coming out to attept to drag a normal fly into the nest.They grabed the fruit flys and took them into the nest and to the queen. There they cut pieces off and i saw them giving them to the larva and the larva curled round the pieces so i think they are eating them. :D The queen has been doing alot of grooming and the workers have been feeding her and each other alot . :) Its amazing to see such a small worker feeding the queen. 8)

thurs/06/04/06

The colony have been very quite the last couple of days the workers dropped down to a criticul 15 and all workers stopped foraging they stayed in the queen chamber and tended the larva and eggs and the queen. One of the two large larva is gone i presume it was eaten or it could have pupated and has been hidden.The eggs have all now hatched and there are larva of all diffrent sizes in masses next to the queen. :) Some good new :D my new workers have arrived benjamin kindly sent 200 more and they have survived the journey and have entered the nest and joined the queen.It is amazing to see that as soon as the first few new workers found the queen the colony started coming to live again the new workers have been foraging and have taken 2 knats and 4 fruit flys plus 1 hover fly into the nest and are now eating them so for now the colony is back up and running. :D :grin: :)

sun/23/04/06

The colony have been busy as far as i know they still seem fine the colony moved out of the test tube and into the tank of soil i now cannot see any thing exept a hole where the workers are coming in and out they are taking baby crickets into the nest so i assume all is well. :D

wen/03/05/06

I havent seen alot happen lately i do know though that evrythink i think is fine the workers are still taking the baby crickets into the hole.So something is eating them.
adam james

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Carebara diversa - Pheidologeton diversus

Re: Pheidologeton diversus

Beitragvon adam james » 2. Dez 2011 17:59

Hello Guys , Hopfully my new Pheidolegeton colony arrives next week and many thanks to Uta ! =D> for unlocking this thread so i can re add my experiance with this very hard to keep species. As you can see from the threads above i didnt do very well the first time i kept them but its a now many years later and i have got abit more knowledgeable so im sure things will be ok.

For the few of you who dont know what Pheidologeton diversus are then i can breifly explain they are extremly similiar to army ants , they are known to move nest frequently and also they go on raids like army ants do aswell. They are not pure carnivores thou and seeds are readily taken aswell as other things.

They also have one of the greatest variety in workers size , from only 1-2 mm in size upto there bigger 20 mm soldier sisters.

The queen is about 25 mm long and she is a egg laying force to be reaken with , also like army ants she is capable of producing extremly large quantititys of eggs. There is thou a very good reason for this , unlike most ants where workers live a long time , P diversus workers are very short lived , about a month is all they survive for, If the queen does not keep up with the workers dying off rate then the colony will very quickly callapse :shock:. Because of this whenever you buy a colony of these ants make sure there is a minimum of 500 - 1000 workers and plenty of brood, if not then the queen may not settle down in time and start laying enougth eggs and with the brood it will give her a good month while the workers that came with her die off. If the workers she came with die off without replacements it is then extremly likely the queen will then die , very rare is it for a queen to raise workers from scratch again by herself. :cry:

Now this species also has a unusal advantage over other species , they will accept foreign workers and more queens into the colony , this isnt always the case and with everything somtimes they dont but it has been done many times and i myself have witnessed this succesfully :D They are very senseative thou and need high humidity conditions but also this encouages mould and fungus which is a killer for these ants so its a fine line to try and get conditions right.

Well i will keep you guys updated and hopfully my colony will arrive ok , ive been assured they will [-o<

It will contain 2 queens and 1000 + workers :wink:

will post pictures of my setup over the weekend and keep you guys updated.

Regards

Adam :thumright:
adam james

Beitragvon adam james » 3. Dez 2011 19:52

Hey guys well here are the pictures i said i would take , the setup is basically the same one i built for the atta colony but it has now been modafied with a clear perspex front on it and heating cables to warm it up. plus a thermostate and two thermometers. it has also been moved into my bedroom. The foraging tank now sits where the setup origianly was. :D

PICT0184.JPG

Modafied setup with yellow soil warming cables to heat up the shelves.

PICT0185.JPG

Thermostate and light switch

PICT0183.JPG

Piping coming from bedroom setup to foraging tank, Gypsum added to tube for grip and high humidity.

PICT0182.JPG

Slight incline to foraging tank

PICT0179.JPG

Foraging tank

PICT0180.JPG

Desert theme

Hope you guys like :grin:

Regards

Adam :P
adam james

Beitragvon Andie » 5. Dez 2011 19:12

The ants will love it m8, have they arrived yet ?
Andie

Danke bekommen: 2 mal

Beitragvon adam james » 5. Dez 2011 19:17

Hey Andie good to hear from you mate , :D , they havent mate due to bank holidays where they are comming from they wont be posted untill tommorow there which is 2 am our time ha ha , will hopfully receive them by friday :grin:

Regards

Adam
adam james

Beitragvon DigiSERBIA » 7. Dez 2011 00:45

Adam this is pure awesomeness !!! I wish when i get older that i have an opportunity to make something like this at my home :)
DigiSERBIA

Land: Serbia (rs)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon mtrein » 7. Dez 2011 14:49

Wow Adam, lovely setup indeed.
mtrein

Land: Brazil (br)

Beitragvon adam james » 7. Dez 2011 15:44

Hello Guys thankyou very much , it will look alot nicer when i am finally able to buy a bigger foraging tank :D.

Regards

Adam
adam james

Beitragvon bugsy » 7. Dez 2011 19:12

Looks great Adam but it is big. As you know these ants are tiny, have you got any pictures of the nest.
bugsy

Beitragvon adam james » 8. Dez 2011 22:16

Hello Bugsy , yes i can see what your saying , Well i did make two standard ant farm nests with sand in the middle. Well my ants arrived today :grin: ,but i cannot see much because they are packaged really well. Have seen alot of workers scurrying up and down the container , so fingers crossed the two queens are ok. The supplier packed the test tubes in a plastic container then put damp shredded news paper around the tubes so the ants wont dry out and can scurry around in it. I think its helped keep them alive during transport but its going to be terribly hard to move the colony. What i think i will do is put the container in a larger one , remove the lid and connect it up to there new home , let where they are dry out and expose it to light and hopfully they will move.

When i get home i have a few more changes to do , i didnt expect the workers to be as small as they are so escapes are going to happen , will have to rework my whole setup now :(

Will keep you guys updated.

Regards

adam james

Beitragvon adam james » 10. Dez 2011 22:45

Hello Guys , well i managed to make aload of changes to the setup and the ants have settled in but are still in the postal tubes they came in. They are eating well and have taken and killed 11 , mini crickets. Because the tubes are blue plastic and not see throu i have yet to see the queen :( . There are loads of workers comming in and out and i have seen one media worker. :)

I will let the tank where they are slowly dry out now and will hope they start exploring the tube connected to the nest. The nest is warm humid and dark so hopfuuly they will want to move.

The nest chambers have been changed , i have made basically two giant test tubes , they have a resevoir for water and one end and then there is a inch thick wall of gypsum followed by a gypsum chamber incorporated into the tube. Thsi setup allows many to be connected and now with a change in placement of heating cables condensation has not been a problem. :grin:

Heres a few pictures

PICT0012.JPG

New setup with heating cables brought forward

PICT0013.JPG

1st test tube looking setup

PICT0014.JPG

2nd tube with twoconnections one to tube behind and one to foraging area :)

PICT0015.JPG

Inside chamber , with thermometer probe

PICT0010.JPG

Connection to tank , will one day be connected to a new tank in the living room with a woodland
planted theme :P

PICT0009.JPG

Colonys still reside in traveling tubes. Moist tissue placed on floor to keep humidity up untill they settle and decide to move.
Will allow it to slowly dry to encorage them to move inot nest setup. 8)

PICT0007.JPG

Workers attacking cricket , it amazes me at the aggresion and quick recruiting of workers to assit with kill.

PICT0006.JPG

Will update again soon

Regards

adam james

Beitragvon DigiSERBIA » 11. Dez 2011 14:49

Keep 'em comin' Adam ! cheers
DigiSERBIA

Land: Serbia (rs)

Beitragvon adam james » 12. Dez 2011 08:50

Hey Digiserbia , thanks mate :D

Well guys over the weekend the colony has moved. They havent moved into my setup yet but have moved out of there traveling tubes. I added a test tube with a water resovoir and a cotton bung over it. I then covered this with foil and then pulled out the rolled carboard tube inside the traveling tubes , This now ment the colonies inside were inn light and they didnt like it :) , They quickly found the dark test tube and started making a trail twards it , slowly the trail got wider and busyer with workers carrying larva and pupae etc and then i sore two massive queens :P being draged and moving along into the tube =D> . There are also several major soilders :shock: and a few smaller ones.

Now the colony have moved in here i will connect this up to there permannent nesting chamber and pull the foil of the tube , hopfully they will swiftly move into there new home :grin:

More pictures soon guys

Regards

Adam
adam james

Beitragvon MajorSpud » 12. Dez 2011 18:09

Hi Adam,

your setup looks really nice indeed. I wish you all the best for your colony.

What I have experienced is, that this species grows in only 3-4 months to sizes you can not imagine right now. So your setup looks really good and prepared for this.

I am not kidding here when I say that you need to start breeding crickets or roaches, since the food requirements of these colonies go sky-high.

I have a colony for almost one year now, which had a breakdown in July - and it is now back to thousands and thousands of ants - the nest fully covering a 1m aquarium.

Seven to twelve adult argentinian forest roaches are usual food - on a daily basis.

Really interested if you made thoughts about food issue already.
MajorSpud

Land: Germany (de)

Beitragvon adam james » 13. Dez 2011 08:08

Hello Major , thankyou for your comments , yes i have read they do grow to massive populations very quickly so i look forward to this. My setup is indeed prepaired for this huge potential but im still not 100% happy with my desighn , :( I have indeed read aswell about there food requirments and i am prepaired in this way aswell , i keep a few small lizards and i have a live food subscription so i get a few tubs of live food every fortnight 8) so theres plenty to share around.

I have tried and succeded to breed my own crickets , mealworms and even locusts in the past but i just find it to much hassle and takes too much of my time , i work long days so dont have the time to spare for this. :oops:

Regards

Adam
adam james

Nächste

Werbeanzeige: Carebara diversa - Pheidologeton diversus

Zurück zu Carebara - Pheidologeton