Odontoponera transversa

Here you find the place to interchange your experiences of keeping exotic ants.

Odontoponera transversa

Beitragvon mate » 8. Mär 2009 19:50

Iam interested in ants Odontoponera transversa :D
Have anyone any experience with this type of ants and can anyone write a little more about them (what is the right moisture, or this ants need a short hibernation, what is the dificulty of this ants, what soil is right for this ants , it is true that Odontoponera transversa can not walk on the glass areas, what is the right nest for this ants )? :?: On the Internet is very little information and also in the forum is very little talk about Odontoponera transversa.
And also some photos (of them and of terarium) are welcome.

THX for answers!
mate

Land: Slovenia (si)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Werbeanzeige: Odontoponera transversa

Re: Odontoponera transversa

Beitragvon Felix » 8. Mär 2009 21:25

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=9971 here are my experiences with Odontoponeras. It's written in german but at least you can have a look at the pictures there....

They are very interesting and beautiful ants. I haven't written that in my report yet, but my colony died. i don't really know why. As far as i can tell they were behaving normally and then on December 24th half the colony died and then the rest in the next few days. If they would be your first ants i would try an easier specie first.
About your questions:
Yes they can really absolutely not walk on glass. I would let them digg the nest on their own because it looks like the stone was the wrong choise. They don't need a hibernation. As soil i would use humus at least 5 cm high so they can digg. That wasn't possible in my basin so i made the nest for them. They moved into it but i don't think that they really liked it.
Felix

Land: Germany (de)

Beitragvon mate » 8. Mär 2009 21:40

yee thx for answers :D
And how big was your colony? Did you start with ony the queeen or with more workers?
And i have experience with Messor barbarus , Pheidole pallidula and Camponotus lateralis :grin: so i think to buy one Exotic Species.
And Odontoponera transversa need some slight hibernation?
mate

Beitragvon Felix » 8. Mär 2009 22:15

my colony was about 40-60 workers big. i also started with about this size. they didn't grow that much and they don't grow so fast.
well if you have quite some experience then you can try keeping them of course.
i don't think that they need a slight hibernation. they are from asia so i don't know. maybe it gets a bit colder but i guess by far not as cold as in southern europe. so i would always try to keep the temperature higher than like 20 to 22 °C. it won't harm them if it gets a few degrees colder at night (round 18°C or something....) but generally you should just try and keep it between 22 and 28 °C and pretty moist. ( 60 - 90 %)
Felix

Beitragvon mate » 9. Mär 2009 15:54

And how much can they sting like bees or more? :D
How much it takes from egg to worker?and what is the character of this ants are they aggressive?
mate

Beitragvon Felix » 9. Mär 2009 16:33

fortunatly i never got stung by one of them, nor by a bee. :D but i guess you could compare those. it hurts and is enough for them to kill their prey but it's not really a thread to the one who keeps them.
i don't really know how fast they grow. i guess it's comparable with Camponotus ligniperda as they are pretty big aswell. so it should take something between 8 and 10 weeks.
They are a bit agressive and they are smart usually.
Felix

Werbeanzeige: Odontoponera transversa

Zurück zu Experience with exotic ants