New captured Lasius niger queen

New captured Lasius niger queen

Beitragvon Idiotwind » 1. Aug 2013 19:55

Hello,
I've previously raised this species from a purchased queen/small colony but it has been a while and I've never done it from scratch! I've currently got 4 queens in separate test tubes with moist cotton wall for water/humidity.
I figure these tubes (actually they are urine sample bottles with screw on caps) will be plenty big enough to house a colony until next year.
-Do the queens need protein or will a little sugar be all that is needed until first brood hatch?
-Do I need to put air holes or will occasionally opening to change water be ok? Tube is not going to be completely air tight anyway and even a tiny hole would probably let a first gen worker escape.
Apologies for stupid questions!
Thanks,
Ed
Idiotwind

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: New captured Lasius niger queen

Beitragvon TheSecretSquirrel » 14. Jul 2014 15:42

No, the queens do not need protein, as the Muscle & fat from their wing muscles ( now not needed ) keeps them going as natural reserves until the first workers come along. Also, how often do you change the water, and how large are the tubes / containers that you are keeping them in? If they are small containers, then just remove the lid, and put grease round the top, stops the ants from getting out. If its a tube, remove the lid, and replace it with cotton. They cant get out + air can get through :D

Hope that answered your questions :D

-Squirrel
TheSecretSquirrel

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius