Moving queen with eggs into test tube

Help to the newbie

Moving queen with eggs into test tube

Beitragvon Vanan.kesavan@gmail.com » 11. Dez 2017 02:38

Hi everyone! Just got my first queens and a couple of dram nest. My first venture into the hobby. My question is, can I move my queens (some have eggs and one has a single nanitic already) from the condiment cup setup they came in and put them into the typical test tube setup? These cups are semi-opaque and viewing them is hard. Thanks in advance!
Vanan.kesavan@gmail.com

Land: Canada (ca)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Moving queen with eggs into test tube

Beitragvon baumarkthammer » 11. Dez 2017 14:55

Hello and welcome to the community,

what queens do you have?
Generally moving ant eggs by hand is extremly hard. They break very hard and are usually clustered and cling to pretty much everything. If you plan moving them by hand you can use slightly moist qtips and gently twisting them try to get the little eggs to stick to them.
Larvae and pupae are way easier to move and can even be moved with the rifght tweezers or just poured since they don't stick the way eggs do.

You could just shake the queen over by gently putting the testing tube over her and then turning the whole thing over so that the queen just falls into the testing tube with all her brood... probably losing all her eggs and being hellishly stressed about the whole ordeal.

Trying to let her move on her own will be hard. Queens founding claustral are not very likley to move at all.

Kind Regards,
Kaj.
baumarkthammer
Ehrenmitglied
Ehrenmitglied

Land: Germany (de)
Danke bekommen: 112 mal

Zurück zu Questions for beginners