Messors chewing through ytong

Messors chewing through ytong

Beitragvon yomchi86 » 2. Jul 2015 21:39

Hi all,

been a while since I posted on here. Thankfully all 3 of my colonies are doing really well. The Messor Barbarus colony is doing especially well. They are always so hungry! Their latest favourite foods are garden peas and maggots. In the last week they have started displaying less than desirable behaviour - They are starting to chew threw the ytong nest! They have plenty of food, the nest is well hydrated for them and they have only filled around 15% of it. Plenty of room for the colony to grow. So far, in the last week they have chewed almost 1cm. There's approximately 1.3cm left before they will be out of the nest.

Can anybody suggest any reasons for this? I could understand if the nest was too small, or it was unsuitable for them. I can't understand what has triggered this behavior.

Many thanks!.
yomchi86

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Messors chewing through ytong

Beitragvon trailandstreet » 3. Jul 2015 08:56

They only want to dig there, because it's their natural behaviour. My other ants, as Lasius niger, Myrmica rubra and Formica cunicularia dig through plaster, only because they want to have a tunnel there.
trailandstreet

Land: Austria (at)
Danke bekommen: 153 mal
Ameisen: Haltungsbericht(3)

Re: Messors chewing through ytong

Beitragvon yomchi86 » 3. Jul 2015 18:59

But don't they know that they are not meant to dig through it :) Naughty ants lol. Thank you for your response, hopefully they won't dig all the way through the nest :S
yomchi86

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Zurück zu Messor