Fertilized Lasius niger (no new ants?)

Fertilized Lasius niger (no new ants?)

Beitragvon robroy865 » 31. Jul 2011 16:28

In March (around the 10th) I got my Lasius niger queen, bought from the Antstore. She had 13 workers and a few eggs. I also bought a starter pack and set up the farm and basin. After a few weeks the queen moved into a very small hole that the workers made. No eggs hatched but some were moved quite a few times to the nest and back to the test tube.

Since then the colony has not grown. I haven't seen any eggs hatch or new ants. I am unsure about the absolute number of workers since they remain in the hole or tunnels. They very rarely go into the basin. For workers have died and were left in the basin (4 months since I got them). The queen looks healthy.

Could it be that the queen is not fertilized? How are the ants from the Antstore mated?

I am feeding them insects (after a quick boil or spell in the microwave). Or sometimes fishflakes. The always have access to fresh water and honey water. I should mention that they were shipped during a cold spell to me (Sweden) and although the outside was quite cold the ants were active on arrival and did not seem to be affected too much (the test tube was wrapped in a few layers of newspaper).

Any suggestions on why the colony is not growing?
robroy865

Land: Sweden (se)
Danke bekommen: 3 mal

Re: Fertilized Lasius niger (no new ants?)

Beitragvon jbc » 1. Aug 2011 07:46

Bad luck.

My Lasius niger queen (from Antstore) lost her colony:D Dont know why.

I have caught some queens this year and they have now larvae.
jbc

Land: Latvia (lv)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius