Experience with Pheidole pallidula

Experience with Pheidole pallidula

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 27. Apr 2006 15:58

7/02: ordered my ants,

17/02: my ants were delivered. a small colony, about 20 workers and 2 queens. they are in a test-tube witch i connect to a small plastic formicarium. i keep them in a room where it is 8°c.

11/03: they waked up from there hibernation, i give them made's and worms. moved them to an other room where it is 22°c and the humidity is 50%.

14/03: the first eggs were a fact, only from 1 of my queens.

16/03: both of my queens are laying eggs. the workers clean the test-tube (there still in it) and bring food to my queens.

27/03: i found 1 dead worker, removed it from the tube. the temperature is now 25°c.

30/03: no larva yet ?? the eggs are more then 2 weeks. more eggs come everyday. i moved my ants to my big formicarium (you can find pictures of it on this site. ant display)

1/04: the ants moved out of my test-tube in to the sand, they are somewhere in the middle of the formicarium so i can't see the nest. they moved at night so i didn't see it. everything is cone, the eggs, the 2 queens and the workers. didn't see them anymore during the day. no dead ants anymore.

5/04: i spotted 2 workers at night at the feeding place. no workers are above ground during the day. i don't see the nest so i don't now if there are larva. i hope so... this is normal (so i read) if the colony is this small they stay most of the time underground till the colony is bigger.

12/04: nothing to see, i think they still feed the queen because the made's and dryad fly's i put at the feeding place are being eaten.

20/04: i spotted 1 worker during the day seeking for food (found it at the feeding place ;) ) still no new ants (i think, there most of the day underground). i hope the colony gets bigger soon so they come more above ground. can't wait to see some soldiers ;)

27/04: everything seems to bee o.k. it's been a week since i see an ant but there still eating.

3/05: There still eating but no changes from last week... i hope everything is ok.

28/05: At last, there are two of my workers eating. Its bin a wale since I've seen one. So it's seems like there doing ok. ;)

29/05: After a hard day work i come home and look at my formicarium, and there is one worker eating, it's nice to see them back, i hope the colonie is getting bigger and stronger. (I'm thinking of changing my Sand formicarium to a Y-tong nest formicarium, don't now for sure how to do that, but I work something out ;) )

29/08: two mends after my last update. They are still in my sand formicarium. The colony is bigger and stronger than i expected. I guess about 100 workers. Some of them are soldiers. Very nice to look at them when i just fed them. I'm working on the Y-tong nest if it's finished i try to move them to it.

29/09:They are doing just fine, today i fed them and i counted 5 big majors and 3 little majors, also about 40 workers i think. They are still in the sand farm, i guess I'm going to leave them in there till after the winter. they are digging tunnels in front of the farm, why i don't now, because al the rooms are at the back of the farm, hopefully they build some rooms in the front also.

13/10: They where very busy today, for hibernation time is coming, i turned off the heating lamp. So they where moving everything around, some of them where carrying larva. Other where just very busy 'remaking' the nest. There are many tunnels now in front, that is good, now i can see them underground as well.

1/11: They are not in hibernation yet, at the back of the basin i can see that they put the larva underneath a piece of wood almost in the open air, i think that is because it is warmer there then under the sand. I still feed them but not as much as in summer time. I hope everything is going to be fine (for hibernation i mean) and that the colony is doing fine when hibernation ends.

7/11: They are almost in hibernation i think, there is not much off activity during the day (at night i can't see because i sleep ;) ) a few workers walk around but most of them stay in the nest (underneath the sand).

(update)23/12: They are in hibernation now for a few weeks already and they are going to stay in it till end of February so there is not lot to comment right now. ;)

Greetings Jimmy

Sorry for my bad English
Zuletzt geändert von JimmyVe am 23. Dez 2006 13:23, insgesamt 6-mal geändert.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 29. Aug 2006 15:48

Pictures
Dateianhänge
Pheidole pallidula met nectar.JPG
Eating from the honey-water.
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 29. Sep 2006 19:38

Picture
Dateianhänge
Pheidole pallidula met eten.JPG
The one circled in Red are Mojars Big one ;)
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 30. Sep 2006 11:12

Great picture ! ;)
Dateianhänge
Pheidole pallidula met Red runner.JPG
You can see a Major in the middle of the Red runner. a lot of other workers to.
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 13. Mär 2007 20:52

13/03: Hi all, my colony is doing fine they are out of there hibernation from beginning of February. Now they spent most of there days warming up underneath the heating lamp. ;) The majors monitor the nest entrance.
Other workers clean up the nest, they carry the dead workers out. I'm glad there are not a lot of them.
For new pictures take a look here,
http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=4291
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 10. Apr 2007 09:54

10/04: Yesterday i fed them (i do this 3-4 times a week) it is always nice to see them go. ;) The colony is getting really big. I counted the biggest number of mojars (soldiers) so for, 7 big one. ;) I have taken some new pictures of them, you can see them soon here http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=4291.

(btw: can someone explain to me why i can not edit my diary from above, now i always need to make a new entrance)
JimmyVe

Beitragvon Skippy » 1. Mai 2007 15:58

Very nice Pheidolle-private topics Jimmy ,good to read (your English is not bad)

:) Skippy
Skippy

Land: Slovakia (sk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon Skippy » 3. Mai 2007 10:19

I want to do somethink like that with my young Campo queens ,they have larvae now
Skippy

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 3. Mai 2007 14:28

Sure do. It is always nice to read the experience from someone els.
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 8. Mai 2007 22:13

A nice picture of the feeding time. ;)
Dateianhänge
67.JPG
JimmyVe

Beitragvon Skippy » 9. Mai 2007 13:18

I want to see queen Jimmy ,please one photo...

Thanks Skippy
Skippy

Beitragvon Kale^^ » 9. Mai 2007 14:46

Nice, i use worms to feed ants too (they like to carry them into the nest)
Kale^^

Land: Finland (fi)

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 9. Mai 2007 19:27

@ Skippy: This colony lives in a sand nest, so i can not take pictures from my Queens. That is why al of my other colonies live in a Y-tong nest. ;)

@ Kale^^: I only feed them worms if i find them outside. but they like them allot. ;)
JimmyVe

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 22. Mai 2007 11:46

21/05/2007: Today some of my workers where carrying a naked pop they kept her in the spot light form my heating lamp (to heat here up) when i disturb them they carried her to there nest. I'm not sure what kind it is, is it a Major (but it seems rather big for a major) or is it a queen.
Look for your selfs. ;)
Dateianhänge
68.JPG
69.JPG
70.JPG
JimmyVe

Beitragvon deadmeat30 » 22. Mai 2007 17:44

i would agree, looks a little too big for a major, and it is nearly swarm time, so must be a nice queen. heh, if you get her pregnated then u can always send her me :P im looking for a colony of these! so if anyone out there has one, Ill be VERY interested!

Alan
deadmeat30

Land: United Kingdom (uk)

Nächste

Zurück zu Pheidole