Docile Lasius niger

Docile Lasius niger

Beitragvon Ajbizzle87 » 13. Mär 2010 16:02

Hello all. I have a Lasius niger queen with about 30/40 workers and some new offspring (eggs, larvae, etc..). They are 1 year old now living in a traditional 60x30x1cm formicary with sand/loam mix. Im in the process of inducing spring to the nest being march and that i have hibernated them for 3 months now. A 60 watt light bulb shines down on the thin formicary, but i have noticed that the glass at the bottom is still fairly cold. Ive recently moved for the first time and my new flat can get very cold of a night also. I’m wondering if the ants still think its winter? It can get very hot above the nest, some condensation used to build up on the inside, but now i have attached a low watt air pump for aquariums with a valve, this stops humid air from steaming the inside. My point is that still they are very in-active even though it’s fairly warm above. Shouldn't they be basking in the light or foraging for food? A heating mat just upset my queen, should it be warmer underground? Ants have however had some sugar water and some celler spiders to eat recently, they all look well fed. Just very lazy perhaps? ^^ Or too cold underground because it’s so thin between glass.

Thank you for reading all ^^
Ajbizzle87

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Docile Lasius niger

Beitragvon SteveUK28 » 14. Mär 2010 20:47

well being Lasius niger i wouldnt worry about heating or cold.. they are from out natural enviroment, so keeping them the same tempreture as outside is fine...
SteveUK28

Re: Docile Lasius niger

Beitragvon Ajbizzle87 » 15. Mär 2010 14:54

Cool thanks steve. Well no harm in a bit more warmth ^^ Centred the heating mat in the middle of of the formicary, the nest itself is on the far right so some gentle heat is reaching the queen and some chambers. They can choose warm or cool now i guess. Spoilt rotten. Anyone would think i have more of an exotic species with the set up ive got going. Surely though i would have thought that warmer temps make for good egg laying and larve growth? Ants in summer move all cocoons and eggs underneith rocks, is this to warm eggs up or hide them from the heat?
Ajbizzle87

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag

Zurück zu Lasius