**Do No Release Your Colonies Into The Wild!**

Here you can everything questions or discuss about ants.

**Do No Release Your Colonies Into The Wild!**

Beitragvon JimmyVe » 2. Jun 2008 17:52

Recently I have seen a few posts by people suggesting that they are happy to allow ants to escape into the wild, and have been told of at least 2 people in the last 2 weeks that have released ant colonies into the wild that where not collected localy.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW BAD THIS IS!

Any species that does not come from the country it is being released into poses a very serious threat to local ecosystems.

Ecosystems have taken millions of years to develop and stablize, adding new species upsets this balance and can lead to massive destruction and the extinction of local species of all kinds of animals and plants very quickly, and even the collapse of whole ecosystems.

Sometimes species carry Disease or Parasites that are not native to the local area, and against which the local species will have no defence, again this can cause massive damage.

For this reason, it is ILLEGAL to release alien species in the wild

Please think guys! I thought it would be obvious that doing such a thing would be stupid, but I guess not, however it has been said on many many threads, and many times recently, so I do not believe that what I have heard has come from ignorance.

On top of that, you are also putting at risk the enjoyment of many people, because if ecosystems start to collapse or any damage begins in your local area due to the release of Alien species, you can be sure the government will tighten controls on the import of species, as they do in America, where it is illegal to send any ant accross any border, even between states.

If you dont believe that this is a real threat, just put 'Imported Fire Ant' into google, and you will see, that this is a very real problem

Do you want this to happen here? Do you want our ecosystems to be damaged?

I hope not!

Sorry to rant, but this has to be said.

Author Miszt

Discussion here.
JimmyVe

Land: Belgium (be)
Danke bekommen: 1 Danke

Zurück zu Discussion general