Dinomyrmex gigas (former Camponotus gigas)

Dinomyrmex gigas (former Camponotus gigas)

Beitragvon Occultus » 25. Jan 2016 01:45

"Camponotus gigas is one of the largest ants in the world. They are nocturnal foragers and show ritual battles along their territory borders.
About the attitude of these very interesting ant is so far, unfortunately, almost nothing yet known."

My young colony has been doing well, this is why I have decided that now is the right time to post my journal here.

16/10/15
I recieved my Camponotus gigas Queen. She arrived from Malaysia to the UK within 5 days.
Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbarHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar by Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbarHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar by Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbarHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar by Hyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbarHyperlinks sind nur für registrierte Nutzer sichtbar by che hawkins, on Flickr
Cork bark wedged against the side of the enclosure has been offered for the queen as a ready to use nest site

09/12/15
Day 53
The Queen had produced two cocoons along with a handful of larvae.

31/12/15
Day 75
The first worker had hatched.

03/01/16
The second worker hatched

24/01/16
The small colony has been growing without any problems. As of now the colony has 3 cocoons and a mixture of large and small larvae, 1 cocoon is ready to hatch any day now.
Temps stay between 24-26 Celsius. Humidity remains high with regular misting intervals every 2 days.
Hopefully I can capture some foraging activity when the new workers arrive. This colony is so far being kept in complete darkness.

Despite what I have researched. In my handling experience so far, this species isn't sensitive to vibrations at all . Shining an LED light directly into the nest doesn't even cause a reaction from the colony. I've had far more complications with species such as C.ligniperdus and M.barbarus.
If they weren't so incredibly rare, I'd recommend them as an ideal starter tropical species.

I shall update this colony's progress as often as I have some significance to report.

Thanks for reading.
Occultus

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 3 mal

Werbeanzeige: Dinomyrmex gigas

Dinomyrmex gigas

Beitragvon Occultus » 4. Feb 2016 02:15

Camponotus gigas has now been reclassified as Dinomyrmex gigas. (Title change please)

The two Nanitic workers plucked up the courage to drag a cricket into the nest tonight.
It was nice seeing them enjoy their first solid proteins.
Occultus

Danke bekommen: 3 mal

Re: Dinomyrmex gigas

Beitragvon shane » 26. Feb 2016 15:59

Hope your colony do well :P
shane

Danke bekommen: 27 mal

Werbeanzeige: Dinomyrmex gigas

• Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten