Cotton Wool

Here you can everything questions or discuss about ants.

Cotton Wool

Beitragvon ElliotHC » 8. Jul 2011 13:25

Hi,

I have just today received my Camponotus ligniperdus colony and they seem to be settling in nicely.

A couple of them seem to have either swollowed some cotten wool or have it wrapped up around their mouth as it seems to be trailing out and it is bothering them, I tried to pull it out with tweezers and to my suprise the ant was very grateful for the help as when I tried to pull he pulled back and when I let go he came up to the tweezers for another pull. This went on for a few minutes but its wel and truely stuck in there, the ant did not have the grip required to pull it out so it remains.

He keeps getting other ants to help pull it out but they don't seem to be able to manage it, is this common?
ElliotHC

Land: United Kingdom (uk)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Re: Cotton Wool

Beitragvon Shiver » 8. Jul 2011 16:56

They use it to bury larvae when no other material (ie earth) is available for them to spin a cocoon, my Formica fusca do the same and I have seen them get caught a little bit but never for long and no casualties caused by this.

Not a lot you can do really, other than trying to offer them an alternative (ie some sand) so they can bury larvae without cotton wool
Shiver

Beitragvon ElliotHC » 8. Jul 2011 18:34

Is fine sand ok? 0-1mm?
ElliotHC

Beitragvon Shiver » 9. Jul 2011 17:39

I use "play sand" as a floor material (not nesting material) in my formicariums and it seems to be ok, they sometimes struggle to pull items across it as it's very loose when dry though, I don't know it's size but guess it's similar.
Shiver

Zurück zu Discussion general