About Tetramorium impurum...

About Tetramorium impurum...

Beitragvon fernando_regio » 24. Nov 2007 12:36

Since i recently had the death of my Messor Barbarus Colony, i am with a Big Formicarium all set up and ready to go and no Ants inside witch is sad so i sarted loocking for some species a litle less sensible has Messor Barbarus, and more suitble to be kept in a apartement has my Lisus Niger colony that they dont seem to care less about where they are as long has they are well fed and safe, so i saw Tetramorium impurum, and im incline very much to try this Spec. what can anywone tell me about them? Thanks in advance for the feedback :wink:
fernando_regio

Land: Portugal (pt)
Danke bekommen: 0 Danke

Beitragvon Skippy » 24. Nov 2007 12:54

Tetramorium is nice small ant, colony grow very fast ;) ... sorry to hear that about Messor :(

This specie need small care , it eating everything :) , like insects, honey , etc. , queen eggs laying activity depents on food , so you must feed them every second day to keep them alive and to have growing colony. This ants likes slow dry climate , but with some wet parts in formicarium. They need hibernation. What more? ... dont know , look on PM ;)

Skippy
Skippy

Land: Slovakia (sk)

Beitragvon Messorus » 24. Nov 2007 19:51

These ants are smaller, 8mm queen and 3-4mm workers. These ants have huge colonies, I think some thousands of workers... These ants are doing ,,ant wars", sometimes I´m finding ant wars on ways near my house.... In June you can find some queens of those specie in nature, or also in your city :wink:. I m feeding my tetramorium by honeywater and insect-mosquitos, flies. Next year I want to observing their wars and I will make my own wars and keep ,,laboratory" colonies.... At the moment I have two colonies of this nice specie, in hibernation of course.... If you want to buy one of them, send me a PM :wink: :D
Messorus

Land: Slovakia (sk)

Beitragvon fernando_regio » 2. Dez 2007 04:37

Thanks people, but i managed to get a young Messor Barbarus Queen to start all over again. Shes in the fridge know to hibernate a few months, but thanks anyway for the information.
fernando_regio

Beitragvon mpir » 2. Dez 2007 08:42

Fridge? lol Now I know why your first colonie died. :wink: M. barbarus, being a south European specie should not hibernate in fridge but at temperatures 10-15 °C. If this is the temperature in your fridge then I apologize. :D
mpir

Land: Slovenia (si)

Beitragvon fernando_regio » 2. Dez 2007 14:49

My first colony dyed because the Queen never went out of the test tube and gone to the farm, i have one of those formicariums with the ant farm on the side all in one, and she probably didnt feel safe, or i bother them too much and she dyed. Know im going to put the test tube in the spring directly in the farm, and the young ants will have to find the arena, probably its better, they ad lots of grass seeds but neverdeless she dyed all the same a week later the other ants dyed too. But thanks for telling me that. She was in the fridge with 2-3 degrees for two days, i imidiatly retreived her from there, and she started to move, so she is alive, the temps here in my home are 16 degrees, and my Lisus Niger Colony are with there activity very low, only one ore two came out of the nest. Temps here dont go much low has you can imagine, that was why i putted The Messor Barbarus Queen in the fridge, because its a young Queen and she needs to Hibernate so that she is at her best to lay egs in the Spring. But lets see what heapens then, i hope for a success, i realy like very much the Messor kind. By the way, all specs of ants have strong survivul instincts, and they can prevail in all the climates if putted to the test, so i dont see exactly where is the problem with Messor Hibernate in less then 10 degrees.
fernando_regio

Re: About Tetramorium impurum...

Beitragvon amrik singh » 22. Mär 2011 00:12

For the food try some seeds from pet store they like specially decorticate sun flower seeds and peanuts , it is easy and will
give the Tetramorium's all the fuel and part of the proteins that they need but these seeds are better placed in a dry arena .
amrik singh

Land: Belgium (be)

Zurück zu Tetramorium